• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost Parts Question

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
I know there is a lot of information on hydroboost on here and I read until I had to uncross my eyes with the deadblow. My questions is will the following parts work for my application. 75 w/ps and front disc, Factory 302 Vbelt setup.

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty HB unit
Saginaw Pump from an 85 Elderado with Dual returns
76 Mecury Grad Marquis Wagon MC for Disc/Drum
Various Hoses from NAPA
Custom PS braket

Will I need a prop valve with the Marquis MC?

I hate to revisit this but I just want some reassurance from the experts on CB Thanks in advance.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I know there is a lot of information on hydroboost on here and I read until I had to uncross my eyes with the deadblow. My questions is will the following parts work for my application. 75 w/ps and front disc, Factory 302 Vbelt setup.

Various Hoses from NAPA
Custom PS braket

I hate to revisit this but I just want some reassurance from the experts on CB Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a good basic parts list to start from. As to knowing whether you'll need a proportioning valve, it's always hard to say. I'd say try it without it and add it later as needed.

Todd Z.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
You shouldn't need a custom PS bracket, there are a bunch of Saginaw PS pumps on Ford cars and trucks through the '70/80s.
Joe

OP
OP
BroncoWanted

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
Joe,
Can you give me some specific years and models? I have had a hard time finding any in the local yards. If I knew a year and model I could probably find one easy. Thanks for any help.

Got a couple more questions for everyone on the Hydro Boost.
What thickness material should I make the plate out of to mount the super duty unit? Should I use aluminum or steel? How big should I make the plate? I built a template today so I am ready to cut on the plate just wanted some opinions. Thanks everybody.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
look at late 70's early 80's Ford vans for the bracket. There are several sitting in my local yard.

As for the hydroboost brackets I used 3/16"s for the firewall and then on my second attempt%) I went with 1/2" plate between the booster and an 80's dodge master cylinder. The superduty booster rod will hook right up to the brake pedal and your master will bolt right up with no issues. It's a very simple project. Good luck.

OP
OP
BroncoWanted

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
Thanks for the info. I have some 1/4 aluminum. Do think that would b ok for the plate. I would like to keep rust out of the equation if possible. Just wondering.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta

Various Hoses from NAPA
Custom PS braket

NO you will NOT need a proportioning valve, If you have the correct mercury MC. there are two one for all disc, one for drum/disc. Neither needs a proportioning valve. I should know, this is the master I run.
TOFIC

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Can you give me some specific years and models?

Yes 73 to 79 BiG Ford car, delivery vans and large vans in this vintage. If you are running a 302 in standard Ford motor mounts you should not need an offsetting plate.

What thickness material should I make the plate out of to mount the super duty unit?
I used one eighth thick steel plate but a good size.
Should I use aluminum or steel?
STEEL for sure. you do not want the metal reaction between the two dissimilar metals to start corrosion. Also Aluminum,no matter how thick, will twist and bend easier and faster than steel.
How big should I make the plate?
As big as you can, pictures attached of mine.
I built a template today so I am ready to cut on the plate just wanted some opinions. Thanks everybody.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• New Firewall Plate.JPG
    New Firewall Plate.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 51
  • New Plate installed.JPG
    New Plate installed.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 33
  • another wide shot of installation.JPG
    another wide shot of installation.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
BroncoWanted

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
Picked up my hydroboost unit yesterday and it looks brand new. $100.00 from a they pull yard out of a 2005 F350. It came with a master cylinder attached. I like the looks of the whole setup up. Question is can I use the MC that is already on the hydro or do I need to change to the mercury wagon MC like I had previously planned? Thanks for the help in advance.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Picked up my hydroboost unit yesterday and it looks brand new. $100.00 from a they pull yard out of a 2005 F350. It came with a master cylinder attached. I like the looks of the whole setup up. Question is can I use the MC that is already on the hydro or do I need to change to the mercury wagon MC like I had previously planned? Thanks for the help in advance.

Be advised that the master cylinder on there has an enormous bore, 1 3/8". It also doesn't have any residual pressure valve in the port for the rear brakes because it's for a disc/disc setup. I've also cautioned that it's such a large master cylinder that it might not fit under your hood but I believe some folks have tried it since then and found that not to be true. If it were me, I'd use a disc/drum master cylinder like you mentioned earlier (assuming that you're running rear drums, of course!).

Todd Z.

OP
OP
BroncoWanted

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
Yeah that kinda what I was afraid of. I have the Mercury MC so I will use it. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to hunt down the push rod from the booster to the MC as well as the return spring and retainer. Thanks for the information. I considered using the original MC and buying a prop valve but the valve cost more than a new mercury MC. Again thanks for the information. I've got to get contributor status so I can post some pice for you guys to look at. Maybe then my questions won't be so dumb.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yeah that kinda what I was afraid of. I have the Mercury MC so I will use it. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to hunt down the push rod from the booster to the MC as well as the return spring and retainer. Thanks for the information. I considered using the original MC and buying a prop valve but the valve cost more than a new mercury MC. Again thanks for the information. I've got to get contributor status so I can post some pice for you guys to look at. Maybe then my questions won't be so dumb.

No dumb questions. We all go through it the first time. I might be headed to the picky tomorrow - I could probably get a pushrod, spring, and retainer for you if you need 'em. But it sounds like you got the booster/master setup complete so the pushrod, etc. should all be in there.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
BroncoWanted

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
Thanks. I am going to start pulling it apart today. I will look and see if everything is there. If not I will holler at you. Thanks for the offer. We do not have u pick yards here and most of the yards we do have specialize in late model and have a very limited supply.

OP
OP
BroncoWanted

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
O.K. Got another dumb question. What did everybody do with their accelerator linkage when they installed the hydroboost? My linkage bracket is bolted to the firewall and will be in the way when I bolt the unit up. I noticed in TOFIC's pics that I can't see his bracket. Any suggestions or do I need to get rid of the original and go with something else?

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
save yourself a whole lot of grief and go with the accelerator pedal cable from Chuck.. lots easy to install and the pedal "feels" better too.
TOFIC
ps if you want a picture let me know and I will take one.

OP
OP
BroncoWanted

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
O.K. guys I finally got all the parts in from NAPA. I have removed the old stuff and pretty much assembled the new stuff. Hopefully I will have it on next week some time. Work has been getting the way of the Bronco. May have to quit the day job if this keeps up. Thanks for all the information and help. As soon as I can i will get the contributor status and post some pics.