• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

brakes

zerostar2410

Contributor
like ive stated in previous threads, i just bought a stock 71.

the first thing i want to do is upgrade to power brakes. im looking to be doing light crawling. whats a good kit or good parts to mix and match?

Thanks ahead.

BIGED

Guru ????
Are you wanting to stay drum with power, or go disk. if you went disk only you would see great improvement and build from there. you could do all ford conversion or chevy.there are tech articles to the left side of the screen then under brakes that may help. I did the ford and no power and have been happy with that.

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
i didnt know you could stay with drum and have power.

ive been told disc is better, so ill prob want to go disc and then add power if need be.

any recommendations for converting to disc or good parts i should considering buying?

DuneBuster

Loc.
Canton
We just did the vacuum power booster kit with drums and it was a big improvement.

Buying the kit (pick your favorite supplier) and installing is relatively easy.

Hydroboost to me usually means some customization of the hydroboost attach hardware and getting a new pump with dual outlets (presuming you already have Power Steering)

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
i do not have power steering and i would be leaning more towards disc brakes.

around how much would that be in total?

are there instructions somewhere that i could review?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Check out the write ups here. http://classicbroncos.com/webmap/

Cost wise disc brakes is only going to be a little more than power brakes and you'll actually get better braking with the discs than with power brakes all power brakes will do is make the pedal easier to push.

rharrell

Loc.
Benton, LA
What size tires are you going to use. I have 33" and have drums all the way around with the vacuum booster. No problems stopping at all. In fact I have to be a little careful not to lean to hard on the pedal so's I don't hit me head on the windshield! Bought mine from BC with a new master cylinder and brake lines.