• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D44 high pinion question

1970mule

Bronco Guru
what is the difference between the high pinion and otherwise. i was looking at a D44 high pinion out of a 77 f250, will that fit under my 70 bronco stock height for now and currently sitting on D30

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
That axle will be full width meaning it will be six inches wider than your Dana 30. The people who run the high pinion 44s on their Broncos either do a full width conversion front and rear, or shorten them to EB width (what I did). Even if you cut it down to EB width, you can't install it in an unlifted Bronco. The oil pan will be in the way of the differential.

Also, a 44 out of an F250 will be set up for leaf springs which will make it even more difficult to swap into an EB.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Well the '77 F250 does have the differential on the proper side. That is about all it has going for it.

Oil pan clearance gets real tight and so does some exhaust systems. That driveshaft sits higher then stock.

The axle is about 6" sider then the original
The F250 is 8 lug wheels, not 5
It is a leaf spring axle, does not have axle wedges welded on for radius arm/leaf springs.

If you are looking for a simple upgrade to the D30, this is NOT the one to get.

If you are looking at doing an economy trail rig with full width axles and plan on fabrication all the suspension yourself, this is doable but at that point most would start looking for a Dana 60 instaed. It is not a heavy duty axle. It is a Dana 44, basicly a half ton axle that was pressed into service on a 3/4 ton.

It is a simple D44. Ring and pinion are special to the high pinions but the carrier itself interchanges with low pinions.