• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No power steering...

Johnny

Spent the last two days switching the manuel steering in the 68 to a 78/79 Bronco power steering box, and saginaw power steering pump... and the little bastard fought me the whole way.... nothing lined up, had to adjust for everything.... anyway...

I finished it up today, filled it full of fluid, and started it up... With the front tires off the ground, the steering wheel would not turn... so I strong armed it, and felt a pop... now it will turn, but I have no power steering....

I was getting some froth, and little bubbles... so I'm guessing (hoping) that it still has some air trapped... I kept it full and turned the wheel from side to side a few times, but it wasn't as easy as it should have been.... Drove it around the house a couple times and still no power steering...

I know the pump is good.. I just took it off the ol lady's Bronco not to long ago, and I can see the fluid level go down when I throttle the carb...

So what do you all think... air trapped in the system ??

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I am assuming that you swapped the internals in the box since it is turning the correct way. Are you sure you didn't mess something up when you installed the donor parts into the big Bronco box?

OP
OP
Johnny

Johnny

I didn't change anything in the box... I'm running the pitman arm forwad... just it is still like it's in a big Bronco...

OP
OP
Johnny

Johnny

What the hell, Do I have the plague or something.... Maybe it's my avatar scaring people away...... yeah, that must be it.. %)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If its frothing then there is still air in the system. Also the relief valve in the pump could be stuck open and not building any pressure sometimes you can tap the back of the pump and get it unstuck but I've also had to remove the valve to get it unstuck.
Worst case the seals in your steering box are toast.

OX1

Bronco Guru
You should know 78/79 bronc 1/2 ton PS systems are notorious for problems with bleeding. Shut it off, fill it up (if it pukes good amount when you shut it off, then it still has air). Pull ign and crank it while turning wheels (which should be off the ground) back and forth until it is full. ANY bubbles, go have a pizza and come back later.

Once all the air looks like it's out, start it and let it run a bit before turning wheels @ all. Once you see there is no air, then you can turn wheels back and forth when it is running. Leave the cap off so air can escape. DO NOT shut her down until there is not one little bubble/foam left or you will be repeating this whole thing over again when it all pukes out.

PS: would like to see pics of where you mounted your box and see how close it is to where mine is.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What they said.
One thing that stands out though, is that you say you couldn't even turn it at first. Sounds like something wrong with the box or the orientaion of the hoses to me. Even with no pump you should be able to easily turn the wheel when the tires are off the ground.
I haven't had to play with PS too often over the years, but I thought it was a little strange to act like that.
Would just air in the system do that?

Paul

OP
OP
Johnny

Johnny

If its frothing then there is still air in the system.

That's what I'm hoping it is...

You sure you got the press and return ports right?

Yeah, I'm sure I've got it hooked up right as the pressure side line is a high pressure hose, and the return is just a rubber line..

would like to see pics of where you mounted your box and see how close it is to where mine is.

I know, but I've never had that much trouble out of one... and as soon as I get some batterys for my camera, I'll take a couple pictures for you James...

One thing that stands out though, is that you say you couldn't even turn it at first. Sounds like something wrong with the box or the orientaion of the hoses to me.

Let me clarify that a little Paul... I put the steering box on, and with the tires in the air I could steer it no problem.... but after I put the pump on then it wouldn't steer until I strong armed it.... I know it does sound like the hoses are backwards, but the line coming out of the bottom rear of the pump, goes to the small hole in the steering box, and it's all high pressure line.... where as the other is mere rubber hose and goes through the cooler then down to the larger return port...

OP
OP
Johnny

Johnny

Well I think I've solved my power steering problems..... I'm just going to take the damn pump back off and run it without it....

With the tires off the ground, and the engine off, I can turn the wheels easy... but as soon as I start the engine up it gets harder.... I've bled and bled the system... no bubbles, no froth, and no whine... but also no power steering.... So I give up... It's just a damn trail truck anyway..... and I'm only running 35 inch tires..... Hell back in the day, I had a 78 Bronco on 44's that was manuel steering, and all it did was build my forearms up... ofcoarse that's why I look like Popeye now...