• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaf spring length - eye-to-eye

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have two sets of aftermarket leaf springs sitting in the driveway right now. The overall length of one set of springs is approximately 2.5" longer than the other. One is a 3.5" lift and the other is 4.5" lift.

Can someone else that has an uninstalled set of springs, either lifted or stock, give me a rough idea of what their springs measure, eye-to-eye? These two sets are 43" and 45.5" respectively.

Thanks,
Todd Z.

Edit - I installed one of the new springs this morning and took a shot of the shackle at ride height vs. the one on the old spring. The main leaf of the old springs measures 46" long and the main leaf of the new spring measures 48".

Attachments

• IMG_5718[1].jpg
    IMG_5718[1].jpg
    53 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5716[1].jpg
    IMG_5716[1].jpg
    46 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5719[1].jpg
    IMG_5719[1].jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5717[1].jpg
    IMG_5717[1].jpg
    41 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5720[1].jpg
    IMG_5720[1].jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5721[1].jpg
    IMG_5721[1].jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
2.5in lift springs eye to eye uninstalled 44 1/2" had about 5 years of use before I removed them.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
looking at your pics there i would think you'd need to have both sets at the same distance eye to eye to establish a true arc value.
do you have a come along or 2" ratchet strap you could wrap around the eyes of your new set to get that number?

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
I, also have a set of un-install leaf springs, it been so long I do not know were they came from or what the lift is? They are 44.5" from eye to eye.

I measured the stock leafs on the truck, the way it sits (body off) and it was 46". As broncnaz said that a 2.5" lift measures 44.5" I do not see how that can be a 2.5 lift. I not catching on or missing something.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
With the eyes on the floor and the spring arch stand up, how many inches is it to the first leaf from the floor

I have a 5-pak that is also 44.5 and measure 10.5 arch

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I, also have a set of un-install leaf springs, it been so long I do not know were they came from or what the lift is? They are 44.5" from eye to eye.

I measured the stock leafs on the truck, the way it sits (body off) and it was 46". As broncnaz said that a 2.5" lift measures 44.5" I do not see how that can be a 2.5 lift. I not catching on or missing something.

I'll get my arch measurements in the morning. I'll also measure stock springs installed and 2.5in springs installed see if we have any differances.
All springs are a little different ie spring rate, leaf thickness, preset arch, number of leafs ect. I think you've hit it with the arch measurement. Once any wieght is on the springs they will flatten out so your stock springs will give a different measurement installed.

Ok here's what I've come up with.
Uninstalled 2.5in advertised springs eye to eye = 44.5, arch 9.5"

2.5in lift springs installed on my 73 eye to eye 48 1/4" (hard top, full 23 gal tank, rear seat, tools full sized spare)

Stock height springs orginal on my 71 = 47 1/2" (hard top, rear seat, empty rear tank, full side tank, spare tire)

Last edited:
OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
2.5in lift springs installed on my 73 eye to eye 48 1/4" (hard top, full 23 gal tank, rear seat, tools full sized spare)

Stock height springs orginal on my 71 = 47 1/2" (hard top, rear seat, empty rear tank, full side tank, spare tire)

I appreciate you guys all taking the time to measure your different setups to give me some data. I did a quick measurement on mine tonight with the weight of the vehicle on them and came up with an eye-to-eye measurement of 48.5". I tried to do some extrapolation with measuring the leaf measuring flat, the arc travel of the shackle, etc. to try and convince myself that everything's kosher but I'm not there yet. I'll contact the vendor tomorrow for their thoughts.

Thanks,
Todd Z.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think your over thinking it Todd.
The differances of arch in the spring and the angle of the shackles tells the story.
Let us know what the vender says.