• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rust repair

zerostar2410

Contributor
just got 71 bronco. what are my options when trying to get rid/repair rust? i got surface rust and bad cancerious eaten through rust. worst areas are floor pans and inner driver and passenger side fenders.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Surface rust can simply be sanded off and primed/painted over. Rust through can only be repaired by cutting out the rusted metal and welding in new metal. It can be very time consuming and frustrating to make sure you get all of it and get everything lined back up correctly with the new metal.

djhudson05

Rust through areas should be cut out and replaced with new metal. Cut only one panel out at a time and replace with new one if you can. Screw everything together to check fit before welding everything together. The more you cut out at one time makes the body weaker, will cause it to flex ( add bracing) and makes it more difficult to line things up. If you have surface rust, sand off what you can and use a rust remover to clean any pits where you can't get into by sanding.

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
where can i get some cheap sheet metal?

the worst part of my bronco is the floor pans and front end (inner fenders). where can i get fit sheets of metal?

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
so what would be the purpose of acid dips, media blasting, sand blasting? do these help with rust? and what are the prices of these? (roughly)

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Seeing pictures of your rust problems will help with any advice you get.
You mentioned "cheap" in your earlier post, so I guess I want to ask, is do you want to do it cheap or the correct way?
When you start talking about the three items you mentioned, it sounds like your moving into a frame off restoration, which will not be cheap.
All three methods remove all the rust and blasting removes all paint as well.
You can get your body panels media blasted (media is a term for a non-sand blasting) usually denoting non-warping of your body panels -depending on which "media" is used.
Sand blasting is usually done on metal parts where warping is not possible or not a concern.
Acid dipping, I am not sure of the chemical process in detail, strips the parts of all rust chemically.
I'm sure others will chime in with good info.

Prices vary greatly depending on area of the country, what exactly are you having blasted or dipped, and from shop to shop. 10 years ago, I had a body tub and front clip sand blasted and primered for $200, and considered that a great deal. I would imagine someone could reasonably charge $1000 for doing that same job.

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
i live in whittier, CA and just trying to get my 71 in daily driver condition with the ability to take up to the hills and play in the mud. I would like to do everything correctly but at the same time pay as little as possible just like everyone else haha.

this is my first project and just trying to weigh my options between repairing and purchasing new panels, but i am looking to media blast the frame. a lot of my front end panels are rusted through and look trashed so ill probably end up replacing. i will try to post pictures later.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
All the above are good answers. Bronco and cheap are not two words that go together. The only way to save a few bucks is doing the work yourself requiring tools, equipment and being a glutton for punishment. The skills required can be learned. Best of luck and welcome to the madness.

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
haha, thanks.

got another question. whats a good tool to use to cut the rust out of the body panels?

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Dewalt recip saw, die grinder with cutoff disc, 4 1/2" Dewalt angle grinder with 1/8" cutoff disc, air chisel, aircraft tin snips.
These are all tools I've used so far.
If I had to choose only one, it would be the cutoff blade on the 4 1/2" grinder.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
haha, thanks.

got another question. whats a good tool to use to cut the rust out of the body panels?

My 2nd savior...

4 1/2" Metabo grinder and 7 amp motor ... with cutoff wheel cuts steel like butter ... with grinding wheel it grinds welds down flat ... with wire brush removes rust, scale, and paint.

Attachments

• grinder.jpg
    grinder.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 18

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
My 2nd savior...

4 1/2" Metabo grinder and 7 amp motor ... with cutoff wheel cuts steel like butter ... with grinding wheel it grinds welds down flat ... with wire brush removes rust, scale, and paint.

Oh yeah, and the Tiger Discs are priceless. They are like a grinder disc but are made of a bunch of sandpaper like flappers. they don't throw sparks, are quieter, and give a nicer finish.

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
You can do it!!! I bought the grinder, compressor, a little welder, and went to town on mine - I am finally seeing the end - a lot of work, but it costs less doing it one your own. As mentioned prior - cut it out!!! Good luck and welcome to your last addiction!

The beauty of metal work is you can always re-do it if you mess up!

BC

Attachments

• CIMG1033.jpg
    CIMG1033.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 31
  • CIMG1032.jpg
    CIMG1032.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01605.JPG
    DSC01605.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01486.JPG
    DSC01486.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC01922.JPG
    DSC01922.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 31

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
what guage steel do i purchase to cover rust spots?

I bought a sheet of 16ga and one of 20ga. Cut out the rust spots.Don't cover up any rust.
I used the 16ga for any flat parts on the floor and braces. I used the 20ga for any flat patch panels I made on the outside. Any curved or contoured panels, I bought the panels and cut out the parts that I needed from them, if I didn't need to replace the entire panel.

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
I priced dipping just the body, $1400. I partially threw up in my mouth. No doors, top or hood