• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front door post replacement

gregg142

Loc.
Mercer, PA
I am restoring a '69 Bronco. It has some pretty good rust areas. Especially the floor pan. I am going to replace both inner fenders, both front fenders, both kick panels, and both front door posts. The front floor area needs work. Both foot wells pretty rusted. Can you give me any direction on steps to take and how I make sure I get the front door post in the exact spot? I am not a overly experienced body man so I am looking for help/guidance that anyone has to offer. Thanks in advance.

tsmustangs

Loc.
All Over
The best advice I can give you is measure, measure and measure, take lots of digital photos as you go to reference back to. And brace everything before you start cutting out sheet metal. Go slow, be patient and try not to get frustrated. Seach this thread for lots of pics and others projects.

Terry

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I replaced all of the things you are working on and my advice is buy alot of self tapping screws and screw the inner fenders and door post in your measured places. Then put the door and fender on and see how close you are. I had mine in what I thought was the correct place about 10 times before I felt comfortable welding. Then after I put my fenders and door on, the door was hitting about a 1/2" low at the back and I just put a floor jack at the back of the door with the door almost shut and gave it some hydralic persuation to make it hit the striker correct. My bronco just got out of the body shop and all of my gaps look even and my doors work great. I am no body shop guy and really taught myself how to use a wire welder in the process, but it worked for me and save me $2700 from what a local restoration shop said they would charge to replace the sheet metal. Just my 2 cents.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Where are you located?

Odds are someone on the board is close to you and can offer guidance.

I replaced all of the metal you need to and it was my first time. My Bronco turned out great. Brace, measure, test fit, test fit, test fit.

Take your time and enjoy it if you can.

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
I myself also am fininshing up on this - the door posts in my mind were the hardest - what I did was small spot welds to get things close. Another member actually posted a great diagram up showing measurments that I was able to print off and use for the door post - that was a saver.

I will tell you that the measurments were dead on - however the "old doors" had sag in them - so we replaced all the metal around the doors, but since there was sag in them they would rub on the rocker ---- so I simply made sure my door post was welded on good and I hooked the door up and grabbed the bottom and squatted it hard (lifted it up) I basically bent the sag back out of the doors and now everything lines up perfect - we also used a comalong(?) attached to the bumpers to get the door posts perfect - don't be scared to reef on things to line them up while they are just spot welded.... good luck!!

Attachments

• CIMG1033.jpg
    CIMG1033.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 646
  • DSC01548.JPG
    DSC01548.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 575
  • DSC01547.JPG
    DSC01547.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 524
  • DSC01584.JPG
    DSC01584.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 539
  • DSC01961.JPG
    DSC01961.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 514
  • DSC01575.JPG
    DSC01575.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 552
  • DSC01577.JPG
    DSC01577.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 508

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
Also the picture will help. I forget who made it, so I don't know who to give props to.

Attachments

• measurements.jpg
    measurements.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 556

broncorick

For fender fitting, floor etc. I like to use the clecos...if forcing the fit or a lot of lateral distraction---screws give a bit more holding power.

OP
OP
G

gregg142

Loc.
Mercer, PA
Thanks for input

Thanks for all the input. The picture and measurements should help out a ton. A little overwelming when I look at it, but I'll get it done. I'm located in Western PA - Mercer. I'm sure I will have more questions. Thanks all.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
If you will go back and look at the photos of the firewall after the kick panels and door post is removed,, you will see that a complete dash/firewall/door post forms a crude triangle structure. Once you remove the door post and kick panel sheet metal, the triangle doesn't exist anymore and the dash will sag toward the floor and the floorboard and firewall will flex with it. . So when you do bracing, keep this in mind and plan ahead.
Replace the posts one at a time.

Mahpiohanzi28

Great info guys...I am dealing with a real rust bucket so taking measurements prior was out of the question....might be a long winter!! Thanks to all. Happy Thanksgiving.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
All good advise. Only thing I would add is to place frame on jack stands and level so you have a solid reference point to work from. Replace the body mounts, old ones will throw everything off.

Last edited:

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Like someone mentioned measure measure measure and then I used a tacked in brace to keep the area you cut out secure so that it wouldn't sag. Think I have some pictures on my build thread. Edit: Page 7 on my build thread (see signature below) has a picture of a cut out door hinge post with a brace I used.