• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blinker Switch Keeps Shorting Out

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I replaced my blinker switch after one of the brake lights was not working and I traced it back to the switch in the steering column. While driving I noticed some smoke from the column and lost all blinkers and brake lights. I replaced the part again and the blinker relay stopped working so I by passed it with a wire until I could get the new part and the switch fried itself again. %)

Was thinking about checking to be sure I have the right AMP fuse and just replace the switch and relay. Anything else I am overlooking?

Thanks

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
You obviously have a serious short in your wiring. Putting in a bigger fuse & new parts will only allow a bigger fire next time. If you can't trace it, pay a pro before you burn your truck, and stop jumpering things.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I fixed the same problem in mine yesterday. The wire was rubbing under the turn signal cam where the wires all go in to the column and it was shorting out my brake lights and turn signals. Maybe you have the same problem? My turn signal fuse is either 10 or 15 amp, I can't remember.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I was not going to use a larger fuse but check to see if the one that is in there is too large. Would rather blow a fuse than the switch. I can't afford a pro so I am asking for any advise. I always have an extinguisher ready to go in the truck.

The first time the switch was bad/worn out/ the second time it looks like a wire may have been pinched. I will not know what happened this time until I take apart. My guess is another pinched wire. I think I will try some heat shrink on the next one to help avoid this problem.

The short seems to have always come from the switch. What Amprage is the turn signal fuse suposed to be?

15?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I bet a pro will charge less than a new switch costs, and he may be able to fix what you have.

In any case - you have to pinpoint the fault before you can know how to fix it. So find it first, and post pics so we can advise you, if you still need it.