• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thunka, Thunka, What the hell is that noise

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
ok out running a sandy arroyo today and I start hearing this noise so I get out start looking around and see that one of my bumper bolt is missing I figure I'll replace it when I get home, then I say to myself, self there are 3 other bolts holding that side, it would take an act of god for it to be making that sound. on down the arroyo I go don't hear the noise on the semi-level flat stuff just over bumps, so I get it home and take a really good look and find this.
alright here is where the help is needed
1 causes?
2 best vendor? replacment part.

thanks guys
Tom

Attachments

• shackle 002.jpg
    shackle 002.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 110
  • shackle 001.jpg
    shackle 001.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 85
  • shackle 003.jpg
    shackle 003.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 74
  • shackle 004.jpg
    shackle 004.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 74
  • shackle 005.jpg
    shackle 005.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 81

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Umm.... that's not good. from the rust around the edges I'd say it started some time ago. My guess is that the lower section is frozen in place, either the bolt is too tight or time and rust got to the bushing. Bouncing down the arroyos finally created a fatigue point that eventually broke.
BC broncos sells some HD shackles. I think some of the others do too.
Tom

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
happened to me 2 weeks ago same side and took out my filler hose too hahah at first look i was like waht the?! wild horses super shackles are beastly.. also very good investment. when you buy the shackles, you might buy new bushings too. the ones from james duff are pretty cool + not to pricey. I took a silicone turbo hose from my dads shop after measuring the od of the tank/filler if i remeber correclty it was 1 3/4" . i checker my local pep boys for a rubber fill hose that was gas resistant but they didnt have anything close.. pm me if you want more info. I was able to change em using a jack 2 chains and a sturdy ratcheting tie down. like i said i just did this, any questions pm me. Joe

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i've installed BC's shackles, well built. they also have the greasable bolts for the shackles and springs. WH's (nick's) look nice, but no experience with them yet.

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Eeeesh Tom... that's no fun. My originals were not in great condition and prolly would have fallen victim like yours... so I got the Super Shacklesfrom Nick. Fine piece of equipment there... real beefy.

Obviously I haven't wheeled em yet... but they went on like a dream with new bushings. :) Newell might not agree though ;)

OP
OP
22213evl

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
well after checking prices at the various venders, I have decided to try and weld the shackle back together for a temp fix. I'll have to see if I can find some way of reinforcing it to make it a little stronger. one way or another I will be at the trail run on the 13th.
hey I'm getting good at breaking sht. ;D

Attachments

• shackle 006.jpg
    shackle 006.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 21
  • shackle 007.jpg
    shackle 007.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 16

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
well after checking prices at the various venders, I have decided to try and weld the shackle back together for a temp fix. I'll have to see if I can find some way of reinforcing it to make it a little stronger. one way or another I will be at the trail run on the 13th.
hey I'm getting good at breaking sht. ;D

I hope thats just a temporary fix?

OP
OP
22213evl

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
gotta do something $159 plus shipping is more than I can afford right now, I belive I can weld it up so it will take a pounding or two before I replace both rear shackels. we'll see, worst case sceneario it breaks again and I have to fix it again.

nrramse

Eeeesh Tom... that's no fun. My originals were not in great condition and prolly would have fallen victim like yours... so I got the Super Shacklesfrom Nick. Fine piece of equipment there... real beefy.

Obviously I haven't wheeled em yet... but they went on like a dream with new bushings. :) Newell might not agree though ;)

LOL - Leaf spring bushings seem like they should be easy. I wonder if we did something wrong, besides use too much grease.

Good luck Tom - I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

Newell

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
You are going to kill yourself.;D I would think somebody would have some stockies cheap and could ship to you. Maybe post in the parts wanted?

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
check local junk yards.. and now when i get home from work i am going to check mine broncos for any signs of wear..... lol

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Bronco graveyard sells new replacements for $35 or so. They aren't the beefy upgrades that WH has, but it is a lot cheaper.

OP
OP
22213evl

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
Devin you are a godsend, I went to B Gs site and found the shackle
and also found the elusive rear filler hose for the 77 bronc, all for around 80 bucks, woohoo I can live wit dat.