• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Grab Handles

flousberg

I am finishing up the roll cage and debating if I put grab handles on the A pillars. I bent up some steel ones that I can weld on or is it better to get the soft ones? Seems like it might be one more thing to bang your head on.

badol'74

Loc.
Oxnard
I went with the soft ones for the same reason, I thought welded in grab handles might be a little dangerous. I have one over the drivers door opening, one over the passenger door opening, and two on a center dividing tube over the rear seat so that the rear seat passengers have something to hold on to. The soft grab handles are not that great for assisting you in getting up into your Bronco, (5 1/2" lift with 1" body lift on 35" tires) If I had it to do over, (cage is powdercoated) I would probably go with welded on grab handles up high where the "A" pillar bar meets the top bar. Hope this helps.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
I think it depends on where they are. overhead ones should be soft since you just pulling on it, it can collapse without issue, and there's less to whack your head on. Handles in front of you should be hard so when the passenger uses it to brace themselves and you brake you don't break their knuckles on the cage.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I think it depends on where they are. overhead ones should be soft since you just pulling on it, it can collapse without issue, and there's less to whack your head on. Handles in front of you should be hard so when the passenger uses it to brace themselves and you brake you don't break their knuckles on the cage.

Check out post #7. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140985

They work as a gusset and a grab handle-for crusine and for getting up and in.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
They should be padded with a semi-rigid substructure &/or collapsible. Just go to the JY & shop around until you find some you like. This came from an Explorer:

This probably came from a Crown Vic/MGM/LTC:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I am finishing up the roll cage and debating if I put grab handles on the A pillars. I bent up some steel ones that I can weld on or is it better to get the soft ones? Seems like it might be one more thing to bang your head on.

If you scroll down in this link:

http://azbronco.org/tech04.htm

you can see what I use in my Bronco. They're spring-loaded so they flip up out of the way when you're not using them. Very handy and sano option.

Todd Z.