• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Autolite carb guys

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I Need a little help from the 2 barrel guys. I just broke in the newly rebuilt 289. It runs good but it is too lean. Am I right in assuming the only way to richen this carb up is to re jet it? Correct? Do the jets they use have numbers on them? I have no problem drilling them if I can't find the jets.
Any input?

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
Yep. The jets are realy the only way. You can play with the idle screws but that's only good up to about 1/8 to 1/4 throttle opening. You can also get a power valve that opens sooner but that just mean you'll have the same amount of fuel going in sooner-not necessarily more. By moving the acc pump lever to the outermost position will also help a little. The jets are numbered. If you have a 1.08 venturi (marked on the side of the carb) they usually come with 47 or 48. If for some reason you have a bigger carb (ie 1.21 venturi) then the jets will be bigger (usually around 55). I'm running a 1.08 venturi on a little V8 with a slightly bigger cam and put some 55 jets in and it worked much better (as far as carbs go). Someone on ebay was selling Autolite/Motorcraft jets a while back in all sizes. Not sure if he still is or not. Pull a part yards usually are a good source too. Also. those brass jets are very hard to get out sometimes if they've been in a while. You need a good large flat head screwdriver.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Yep. The jets are realy the only way. You can play with the idle screws but that's only good up to about 1/8 to 1/4 throttle opening. You can also get a power valve that opens sooner but that just mean you'll have the same amount of fuel going in sooner-not necessarily more. By moving the acc pump lever to the outermost position will also help a little. The jets are numbered. If you have a 1.08 venturi (marked on the side of the carb) they usually come with 47 or 48. If for some reason you have a bigger carb (ie 1.21 venturi) then the jets will be bigger (usually around 55). I'm running a 1.08 venturi on a little V8 with a slightly bigger cam and put some 55 jets in and it worked much better (as far as carbs go). Someone on ebay was selling Autolite/Motorcraft jets a while back in all sizes. Not sure if he still is or not. Pull a part yards usually are a good source too. Also. those brass jets are very hard to get out sometimes if they've been in a while. You need a good large flat head screwdriver.

Good information here. Thanks. Is the venturi # cast into the carb? i am going to go look for it.

The 289 does have a little bit bigger cam.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The carb has a 1.14 on the side of it. So is this one bigger than the 1.08

What jets will the 1.14 have in it stock?

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
The carb has a 1.14 on the side of it. So is this one bigger than the 1.08-YES

What jets will the 1.14 have in it stock?

Not sure. The jet sizes can be different in the same venturi carb. For instance I've seen 44 jets in a one 1.08 and 47 in another. It's pretty easy to take the top off the carb and look right down into the fuel bowl to see the jets. It can "usually" be done without hurting the gasket if you're careful. You will need to remove the float but it just clips into place. The sizes are marked on top of the jets but may be hard to read. A bright flashlight helps.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I can handle the jet replacement no problem. I just put a kit in it the other day. I never looked to see how big the jets were. I do know it is all clean inside however. Now to find my numbered drill set. I bet I have a hundred Holley jets but not any extra autolite ones.
Thanks again for the help.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Bax I got a whole handfull (JETS for anAutolite) and got rid of my 2100, do you want me to mail them , they would be to you in a few days maybe a week. unless you need them now

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I thought both holly and autolite both used the same jets ..
..Most autolite use 55 as as i've seen them .....A no. drill bit set move each no. 55..56...57..58.. I've bought a few but used them else where ...
MY problem was i'd drill one or 2 steps too far and then could not go back...Old timers told me to jump from 55 too 57 too 59..

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Bax I got a whole handfull (JETS for anAutolite) and got rid of my 2100, do you want me to mail them , they would be to you in a few days maybe a week. unless you need them now

Thanks for the offer. I have 2 other carbs laying around, I can steal the jets out of them. I have no problem drilling them.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I thought both holly and autolite both used the same jets ..
..Most autolite use 55 as as i've seen them .....A no. drill bit set move each no. 55..56...57..58.. I've bought a few but used them else where ...
MY problem was i'd drill one or 2 steps too far and then could not go back...Old timers told me to jump from 55 too 57 too 59..

The holly jets are not the same.
I agree with the stepping up slowly on the jet size. Always a good idea.