• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

T shifter question

4xfun

I have a t style transfer case shifter and it is stuck in 2H. When I take the T handle off, it appears that there should be something to push the bar inside the shaft, but mine is missing. I bought a new button thinking that was the problem, but my button is ok. It is loose in the handle. The problem is not the button but couuld be something the button is designed to push. Does anybody have a solution or know where I can by the parts for the shaft.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I just looked at mine and I think its just a spring loaded plunger. There should be a metal tab at the bottom of the shifter that engages the shift rail for the transfer case. Is it missing? Is there spring tension when you depress the plunger? Maybe that tab is rusted in place or missing. Check that. I would just upgrade to twin stick if you can't get it to work. :)

Snibbs

Loc.
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
I had the same problem, there should be a white plastic rounded piece sticking up above the metal shifter, this plastic piece treads into a metal shaft that goes down to the transfer case and pushes down the locking mechanizum. I found a used one but someone must make a new one.

OP
OP

4xfun

I am missing the tab. That would explain the issue. I have looked at a couple of catalogs, but have not seen parts for the shifter other than the handle and button. Feel free to point me in the right direction for a part in case I overlooked a page from one of the sponsers. I am also open to a homegrown fix.

Thanks for looking at your shifter.

wayne marks

Loc.
Pineville, LA
The white plastic piece that Snibbs refered to is an adjustment. Definately have to have it. The most common problem I know of is the rod inside the tube freezes (rusts) up over time. Remove the rod, clean it and the inside of the tube, lubricate with grease, re-assemble, and adjust. Also check the rod return spring and the handle button return spring.

Last edited: