• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

removing warn hubs

Bundy

Bronco Guru
so i have the cap off and the spring and the first retaining ring, now there is the next step to remove the rest of the hub? do i need a puller or something?

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
you need a special socket to remove the retaining nut .you can get one at the parts house.

Attachments

• d44.jpg
    d44.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 50
  • d44 torque.jpg
    d44 torque.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
any idea of what size for a D44 with warn hubs and an air locker?

i am just trying to pull the axles enough to remove the carrier so i can replace the arb copper line i busted

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
ole guy, thanks for the help.

the snap ring is removed, is this the retaining nut behind it?
P5310012.jpg

Orange Crush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Maryland
You say the snap ring is removed. It is still there in the pic (just making sure you did in fact remove it). Also, there is a large outer ring (just inside the hub itself) that also appears to still be in there. You need both of them out and then yes, the lock nut is next if I remember correctly.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Looks like the snap ring is still in place that fits it the groove in the hub. Remove that with a couple of small screwdrivers. Stick one under the end of the snap ring and pry it out of the groove. Take the other and slide it under the snap ring an inch or two away from the gap between the two ends. Remove the first screwdriver while holding the ring out of the groove with the other. Take the first screwdriver and put the blade under the end of the snap ring and roll the snap ring out of the groove. Remove the snap ring off of the end of the axle also as above.

After the rings are out install a couple of screws that held the cap on and pull the aluminum gear off of the axle and out of the hub.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
the ring in the pic is removed-

After the ring is out install a couple of screws that held the cap on and pull the aluminum gear off of the axle and out of the hub.

do i need a puller or will this come out with just a couple of the hub screws in using my hands?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
It should come out with just a couple of screws if the hub is not bent. I have used pliers under the heads of the screws for a little more leverage. Don't bend the screws.

There are 2 (TWO) rings shown in your picture. You need to remove both of them. I took a picture of the two that need to be removed. The small one is on the end of the axle. The other one holds the piece with the screw holes in the hub. The large snap ring is in a groove in the hub. A flashlight will help you see it if you haven't removed it yet. Yours probably has a rectangular cross section rather than round like the one in the picture. I think the round one is from a Jeep. The second picture shows the round snap ring in the groove closest to the edge of the hub. That is the one you need to remove.

Attachments

• img_0130 (2)CB.jpg
    img_0130 (2)CB.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 11
  • img_0133 (2)cb.jpg
    img_0133 (2)cb.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see something else wrong here I think. The center pieces of that whole mechanism are not supposed to come out with the snap rings still in place.
Am I thinking this wrong? First the outer knob assembly comes out, but the entire inner workings are not normally large enough to sliide out with the inner snap ring still installed.
Can you show us a pic of what you've already removed Bundy? Just to satisfy my curiosity.
And the reason you need the spindle nut socket the others are talking about, is not to remove the locking hub mechanism, but to remove the entire outer hub and rotor (or drum) assembly so you can remove the spindle so you can remove the axles.
It's all one big system where you'll be pulling one part after the other to get to the point you can do the work you actually started out to do.
Typical four-wheel drive thing...

Then you get to put it all back together with the proper torque sequence to adjust the wheel bearings and all that fun stuff. Pretty easy once you've done it once or twice, but the first time is kind of intimidating.
Oh, and if you find a really big spring behind that aluminum slug from the Warn hub, leave it out. Some people re-install the original Spicer hub spring behind aftermarket hubs and it causes all kinds of trouble. With any luck, it's done right and you won't find anything like that.
Just wanted to warn you in case you didn't know what to look for.

Paul

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
here is the hub after i removed the first snap ring... i don't see another snap ring can someone point it out?
P5310015.jpg

here is what i have removed so far
P5310014.jpg

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
...to remove the entire outer hub and rotor (or drum) assembly so you can remove the spindle so you can remove the axles.
It's all one big system where you'll be pulling one part after the other to get to the point you can do the work you actually started out to do.
I was unaware i had to remove the whole friggin spindle assembly-

Then you get to put it all back together with the proper torque sequence to adjust the wheel bearings and all that fun stuff. Pretty easy once you've done it once or twice, but the first time is kind of intimidating.
oh boy, what is the proper torque sequence??

Oh, and if you find a really big spring behind that aluminum slug from the Warn hub, leave it out. Some people re-install the original Spicer hub spring behind aftermarket hubs and it causes all kinds of trouble. With any luck, it's done right and you won't find anything like that.
Just wanted to warn you in case you didn't know what to look for.

Paul
is that giant spring in the pic i posted the one you are talking about?

See above post. I added a picture.

thanks 72sport!

weasel

Loc.
Norfolk
As 72sport was saying. You have the large outer snap ring the is on the inner lip to the hub and the smaller snap ring that is on the end of the axle.

Attachments

• img_0130 (2)CB.jpg
    img_0130 (2)CB.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 4

Orange Crush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Maryland
"is that giant spring in the pic i posted the one you are talking about?"

Yes, this is the one you still need to remove. It can be hard to see. In your first pic, you will see a small gap in the ring at about the ten o'clock position.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Added a picture with the snap ring in place in the previous post.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In Bundy's next pics, it looks like he has removed the axle's snap ring and what we're seeing is actually that innner piece to the Warn hub that I was worried had come out already. Looks like he only got the "mid" piece of the hub by removing the one little retaining screw.

As for the spring, I'm not sure. It's "almost" the right size to be the wrong spring. But it looks like it must be the Warn spring that normally is not seen because you remove the entire inner hub as one assembly. I don't see any other way it could be the Spicer spring since he still has the outermost splined part of the inner locking assembly still in the outer hub.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After looking at it a little more, I'd say that you're still on track. That spring looks like it's supposed to be there inside the hub. You just pulled an extra pieced unnecessarily because you didn't know about the snap-ring-two-step.
Basically, after removing the outer knob assembly and the two snap rings (one external snap-ring and a larger internal "ring-thing") you can pull all the inner guts out as one piece.

Get that larger ring out and you can pull the rest of the stuff out. Any springs AFTER that would be wrong. Any springs before this are ok and should go back in as removed.

If you're lucky, your outer ring-clip is the one-piece round wire type. Looks to me though like it might be that fancy-schmancy flat wire multi-wind type. Never had to remove one of them, but always thought they might be a pain.
Maybe one of the others has experience with that style.

Good luck.

Paul