• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

axle help

zerostar2410

Contributor
i have a 71 bronco. not sure if i have Dana 30 or Dana 44. is there a way i can figure this out with VIN? i have also taken pictures of anxle to see if anybody out there can tell me. which half of the year was Dana 44? beginning or end?

SSPX0074.jpg
[/IMG]

SSPX0073.jpg
[/IMG]

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a 44. The cover on the 30 has the same number of bolts, but is more symmetrical.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And yes, you can figure it out with the VIN. After a certain number they're 44's. Called a '71.5 by most of us, the changover came in on or about September 27th of 1970 production date. According to an old Ford ad.
I can look it up in the bearing books if you want, but you've got a 44.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And another thing...
See that little metal strip under two of your cover bolts (vertically there on the left in your picture)? That's the axle I.D. tag and should have all of your cool info about the front end. At least it should, under all that paint and stuff!
You can tell from that too, whether it came from the factory with a Limited Slip and what gear ratio. And other such cool stuff.

Paul

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
And another thing...
See that little metal strip under two of your cover bolts (vertically there on the left in your picture)? That's the axle I.D. tag and should have all of your cool info about the front end. At least it should, under all that paint and stuff!
You can tell from that too, whether it came from the factory with a Limited Slip and what gear ratio. And other such cool stuff.

Paul

where can i read about or input that number on the anxle to figure out what i got from the factory?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is quite a bit of info here if you can find it. You can try the search function, but better yet, just post it up here in this thread and someone will undoubtedly give you the rundown.
Some of the numbers, like gear ratio and limited-slip, will be easy, as they'll be combinations of the common ratios like 3.54, 3.73, 4.10 and such. For limited-slip you'll see an "L" near them.
Another good resource I just remembered is MrN's (member here) info site. Address is: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html
Full of good info.

Paul

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
There is quite a bit of info here if you can find it. You can try the search function, but better yet, just post it up here in this thread and someone will undoubtedly give you the rundown.
Some of the numbers, like gear ratio and limited-slip, will be easy, as they'll be combinations of the common ratios like 3.54, 3.73, 4.10 and such. For limited-slip you'll see an "L" near them.
Another good resource I just remembered is MrN's (member here) info site. Address is: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html
Full of good info.

Paul

my axle says:
DITA-MB
603218 3:54

broke_okie

I have a 71.5 with a d44 this looks like a D44. The cover on the 30 has the same number of bolts, but is more symmetrical.Look at the knuckles. Are they king pin or ball joint? The D44 has balljoints this year. Also the rear of the case is different than the d30. You definitely have a D44 Pull the cover off and look at the numbers on the ring gear .

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
well i know its a D44 but what does this mean
my axle says:
DITA-MB
603218 3:54

does it have a limited slip?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
D1TA-MB --- D = seventies vintage
1 = means '71
T = Truck division
A = Revision number
Not sure what MB means.

603218 is the B.O.M number (bill of materials)

3:54 = is the gear ratio. 3.54 to 1 specifically.

Look up the BOM number on MrN's site mentioned previously to see if it's listed. With the right book, that'll tell you what everything is right down to the part numbers on the individual axle shafts and ring-and-pinion gears.

Paul

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

Contributor
D1TA-MB --- D = seventies vintage
1 = means '71
T = Truck division
A = Revision number
Not sure what MB means.

603218 is the B.O.M number (bill of materials)

3:54 = is the gear ratio. 3.54 to 1 specifically.

Look up the BOM number on MrN's site mentioned previously to see if it's listed. With the right book, that'll tell you what everything is right down to the part numbers on the individual axle shafts and ring-and-pinion gears.

Paul

thanks, but my axles BOM isnt on there.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bummer. But he's said it's a pretty incomplete list.
I'll try to find it in one of my old books, but at least you have all the important info already.

Paul

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you notice though, all up and down the columns and rows, the info for the Dana 44's is the same through all the different BOM's. So you can pretty much use the other info where yours is blank. And since dimensions and part numbers for u-joints is pretty much the only remaining info left blank in your row, you're probably good to go with as much info as can be provided here.

Paul