• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Kits (what's the best?)

KFlaagan

Loc.
Cupertino
So I've done my searchin and hopefully will be bringing home my '68 on Tuesday (after a AAA check).

My bro suggested asking you guys what Power Steering Kits you suggest:
Best priced
Last the longest
Give the best results
and least importantly...
Least Hassle to install (hopefully)

I've done some searching over the forum and have noticed not to get the newer Bronco's power steering.
I was thinking of getting a kit from Bronco Graveyard and we went to Kragen to have them do some searching.

Thanks again and I'm super excited to have my first -paid by me- car!
~Kari

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Pretty much all kits are the same as far as install goes most require no real modifications other than cutting your steering shaft. A few like the 4x4x2 box require some hole drilling but otherwise its all pretty minor.
They should all last a good long time I wouldnt worry much about that. Best results is subjective. a lot of the newer kits offer a very fast steering ratio which on a bronco can be a little dangerous it just means you have to pay more attention. A lot of people like the fast kits for light wheeling and smaller tires where some people like the slower ratio kits for big tires and hard core wheeling but both types of kits work in either situation its just a personal choice.

Its going to be very tough to find a kit through Kragen. Our venders are really the best option. Power steering is a nice to have option but wait til you get your bronco drive it a bit as is while you do some more research you'll appreciate the upgrade more when you finally do it.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
From the vendors there seem to be just 3 options available these days.
1) Stock Runs $950 rebuilt. Bolts up easily. Most widely used. Has lasted over 30 years in most EBs. Good for up to 35 inch tires with some beefing up of the frame May require changes to steering shaft also requires power steering pump.

2) Delph box. Uses 3 of the 4 stock holes, requires changes to steering shaft and power steering pump. Uses Durability is yet to be fully understood. Probably good for 33 inch tires. Frame should be beefed up. Tabs on box will break off if the frame twists.

3) "rockcrawler" 4x4x2 box. Stongest of the three. Also requires the most work to install. Can handle big tires ( but you must beef up the frame). WCB4x4 has a kit that makes installation a bit easier.

From my standpoint, for a street/ mild off road bronco the Dephi box is probably fine, but if you want something closer to bullet proof go with the rockcrawler box. Which ever box you choose the weak link ends up being the frame, and at some point you should be using hydro assist to protect the frame and the box with bigger tires.
Tom

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
My PSC full hydro was very easy to install :D
Drives better then the factory PS I had in the truck...

70_Steve

Old Guy
From the vendors there seem to be just 3 options available these days.
I'll throw in a fourth option.

4) F100 2WD box. Kind of an old-school PS conversion. It requires a minimum 2 1/2" suspension lift, because the pitman arm will mount to the box about 2 1/2" lower than stock. It also mounts on the inside of the frame, and requires a shorter drag link. Wild Horses still sells this kit, Item #'s 2013 and 2015 on page http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Power_Steering_Kits.

This is the setup I run. I sourced most of the parts myself (PS box, pump, brackets, and DD shaft for the steering shaft), bought some from Wild Horse (box bracket, shortened drag link, u-joints for the steering shaft) and had a pressure hose made up locally. I have maybe $350 in the conversion. I also added the Box Brace (same page in Wild Horses catalog) a few years ago. I've done some pretty fun wheeling, and this setup has performed well.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
I've had a couple with the 2wd box and they have served me well over the years.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I run a old Duff version of the F100 2WD box. I also run 37" tires and have no PS issues. I do not like how low the pitman arm hangs down below the frame. It is going to make going to tie rod over difficult.

If I had it to do over, I would get a stock, or stock fitting, box so your future options of steering upgrades are easier.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
So I've done my searchin and hopefully will be bringing home my '68 on Tuesday (after a AAA check).

My bro suggested asking you guys what Power Steering Kits you suggest:
Best priced
Last the longest
Give the best results
and least importantly...
Least Hassle to install (hopefully)

I've done some searching over the forum and have noticed not to get the newer Bronco's power steering.
I was thinking of getting a kit from Bronco Graveyard and we went to Kragen to have them do some searching.

Thanks again and I'm super excited to have my first -paid by me- car!
~Kari
What do you plan to do with your Bronco? Street, trails, rockcrawling, racing or some combo of? What size tires? As far as turns go when you get a box rebuilt they can change the turns from 2.5 to 6 turns. I like the 4 turns of the 4x4x2 box.

OP
OP
KFlaagan

KFlaagan

Loc.
Cupertino
This is great guys, thanks for all the info.
I'm not doing any rock crawling- I'm using it as a daily driver and I am trying to keep it mostly original (a few personal touches).
I'm going to start a thread soon with pictures of befores and afters.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I'm sending a stock '75 EB PS box to West Texas Offroad for a rebuild & quick ratio upgrade. This, coupled with a new PS pump & some other goodies that I need to order from Chuck, & the steering on my '73 should be good to go for another 37 years! (maybe)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
All though I agree with CHUCK on this one i'm with KYLEQ my PSC PUMP COULD NOT BE BETTER and he's just up the road from me ..MIne seems to be 3.75 turns was supposed to be 4 ...but Running Buddys is a stock 6 turn I don't like it. Too much work in a long 6 hour crawl.