• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Comments For A Front Locker

mytmyk@q.com

Iam going to order a front locker for a dana 60. What are your suggestions to use? Detroit locker, Lockrite , Power Lock , Spool, ARB, and what ever I left out. This is a trail truck mostly. I have had a detroit in my dana 44 and it was great except for breaking axles.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I like selectable lockers, it's nice to turn it off when you don't need it. Personally, I really do not like Detroits, mostly because I don't like the way the pinion slap will move you around on the rocks, but that's where I wheel.

I have 3 ARBs and 1 Auburn ECTED in the front of my rigs, 2 spools and 2 ARBs in the back.
Joe

malonejy

Bronco Guru
If you've been breaking axles and had to upgrade to a 60, you're probably a lot more experienced than me. But to throw my .02 in, I love my ARB up front.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Definitely a selectable... ARB, Aussie, OX, etc.. There's a new Yukon locker for sale in the For sale section on here too ;)

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I thought the Auuzzie locker was a lunch box locker, not a selectable.
Tom

It is lunchbox - don't think I'd trust it with 500+ hp and 40's.

rjlougee - what is this pinion slap you talk about, I don't really wheel on the rocks, thinking about a Detriot over an ARB/OX due to the fact I never plan on breaking an axleshaft with D60 cv axles...

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Any locker is selectable on the front. You can even pick which wheel you want power going to. :)

Just unlock a single hub. Does bang around that way and unlike a selectable you actually can hang a tire in the air as long as you pay attention to the side you locked and keep it on the ground.

Works better than selectable especially if your spotter understands.

I would love to have a selectable but I just can not justify the extra expense the ay I use mine.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Famous last words. ;D

Did that output shaft arrive yet?

Not yet - hopefully it is here by the weekend.

As for the axles - I won't break these... nobody has.
Dana 60 CV.gif

I want to spend the money on an ARB, but for a trailer queen is it needed? I don't plan on street driving it, but won't avoid short distances - then again the proce difference between the ARB and Detriot is small when looking at 1 ton stuff...

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Not yet - hopefully it is here by the weekend.

As for the axles - I won't break these... nobody has.
View attachment 135385

I want to spend the money on an ARB, but for a trailer queen is it needed? I don't plan on street driving it, but won't avoid short distances - then again the proce difference between the ARB and Detriot is small when looking at 1 ton stuff...

Very nice. I agree, for a trailer queen, I probably wouldn't do an ARB.

I sent the shaft out last Friday. I will go and see if I can dig up the tracking number tonight to check on it.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
I think even in a trailer rig a selectable is really nice up front. Being able to turn your locker of and steer easily is amazingly useful. I guess if you went ram assist you wouldnt worry as much about it, but I hate steering my 44 with the ARB is engaged.

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
I have an D44, ARB, and cannot steer with it locked, can't even turn the wheel, hydro assist is next up... Dunno if that will help...

A buddy with a detroit and no hydro assist steers just fine - I think is the difference between the spool ARB design and the detroit ratcheting open when there's traction.

If you need to run the front end engaged, such as wintery conditions on highway or around town, then the ARB is nice.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Ok - so full hydro, 40's and a Detriot should work fine for me :D

I love my steering
Spotter - "There is a boulder in the middle of the trail, pick another line"
Me - "Nah - I'll just move it with my tire"
pull up next to rock, lean out and use one finger to saw the wheel left and right a bit and the rock moves effortlessly out of the way
Spotter - "Haha - whatever works!"

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
I know this will open up the debate, but I have wittnessed way too many ARB equipted vehicles take a strap some where on the trail because of lack of air pressure. I feel that compressed air is the hardest thing there is to capture, contain, and control that you can use on a rig. Air pressure at it's best is a temporary element and every moving part on the machine has the ability to eleminate it. That said, The ARB locker seems to be as tough and nearly as unbreakable as they come, and the ability to disconnect is really invaluable on some types of terrain, less valuable on other types. Rjlougee and I do different levels of wheeling although a lot of the same type of terrain, and even though I have run detroits front and rear for 20 years, I am unfamiliar with the pinion shaft slap too which he refers. I will make note that he wheels much tougher terrain than I do. I would be in favor of a selectable locker if someone can build an e-locker as mechanically tough as thr ARB, but on a trailer queen, I would go with limeted slips and call it a day.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Limited slips on a trailer queen?
I carry a 20lb powertank on my rig and will also have a spare 20oz tank incase the tank runs dry (backup if I do run an ARB)

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
Limited slips on a trailer queen?

x2 - LS is great for street use, but has no place on a trailer queen IMO. If your not driving on the street, why would you not at least put in some sort of locker if not something selectable?

Dan76

Go with a selectable. Even if it is a trailer queen being able to unlock the front when you want to turn is awesome.