• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What leafs do I have??

rtreads

Loc.
So I know these are not stock. ...at least I think. I am hoping you all can help me identify what they are?

Under load: (full gas tank, no top, no back seat, 37" spare on bumper with swing out carrier)

They measure 47 1/2" Eye to eye. They have between 4 1/4" and 4 1/2" or droop under load, when drawing a straight line between the mounting bolts at each end. They have 5 leaves, including what looks to be an add-a-leaf that is second from the bottom.

I am asking what they are so, I can replace them with a spring that will offer more flex; and these ride stiffer than I would like. The PO did do a shackle reversal (which I am under the impression that isn't as good for travel as the original ford design) and installed these springs. I am a little worried about getting a new spring that will, both fit, and keep the current ride height.

Any ideas??

thanks!
ryan

Attachments

• Leaf springs 001.jpg
    Leaf springs 001.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 38
  • Leaf springs 002.jpg
    Leaf springs 002.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 35

73bronco

They look stock to me with an add a leaf. The shackle reversal should actually help quite a bit. I have a Wild Horses 10 pack I could sell you pretty cheap if you are interested. About 3" of lift is what they gave me after settling. Hard to say what they would give you with the shackle reversal.

OP
OP
rtreads

rtreads

Loc.
They look stock to me with an add a leaf. The shackle reversal should actually help quite a bit. I have a Wild Horses 10 pack I could sell you pretty cheap if you are interested. About 3" of lift is what they gave me after settling. Hard to say what they would give you with the shackle reversal.

...sounds good. I wonder how much lift they would give? So your vote is the shackle reversal is an improvement over stock? Why?

73bronco

...sounds good. I wonder how much lift they would give? So your vote is the shackle reversal is an improvement over stock? Why?

I would assume my leaves would give you about the same lift or maybe an inch based on what I see with your pics. The shackle reversal frees up range of motion and increases it. The leaves have more force against the shackle that way and force it to act more easily. I researched it before I built my 4-link and almost did it on mine but ultimately decided to link.

OP
OP
rtreads

rtreads

Loc.
I would assume my leaves would give you about the same lift or maybe an inch based on what I see with your pics. The shackle reversal frees up range of motion and increases it. The leaves have more force against the shackle that way and force it to act more easily. I researched it before I built my 4-link and almost did it on mine but ultimately decided to link.

... What did they measure eye to eye when mounted and loaded? Or do you even remember? Send me a PM with your # so I can chat more about the springs!

Oh, and Scotts bumper looks sweet! I think I will be ordering one here not too long.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I would say that they are stock height springs. But are they bronco springs or some other springs many people use different springs when doing shackle reversals. Might want to check out the leafs real close see if you can find the a Ford logo on them that would at least tell you they are stock. You might want to do some research on shackle reversals and see how much lift they give on EB's. That might give you some insight on what you may have.