• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clear T-Case Cover?

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
I cut the floor boards out of my "new" Bronco and discovered a clear cover on the T-Case. A neat little cover with a red line I presume is for the fluid level.
Anyone else running one of these? Do they leak or will they seal up ok? Mine seems to be ok at this point. What about breaking? Thanks for your input.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lots of us are running those..most all made by some crazy Canuck who is also a hydro-boost brake guru;D

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
You are the proud owner of one of the original Geaer Gawkers. somewhere on the plate will be a number. this is the serial number of the plate and this article is garanteed not to cause you grief in any way. If it does,let me or Chuck know and we will do something about it. Send me the number and I will update the owners database so we know where your at and advise you of any changes. This product has been extensively "abused" and I have had ONE plate that died. It was beat to death on a rock. How he did it I dont know but it is unconditionally waranteed and we replaced it. The line is and approximation and does not replace the proper fill procedure, it is real close but not exact
ENJOY!!! and dont worry it works!! Ask Jason at BCBroncos about the creek crossing episode.
TOFIC

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta

That brought up some memories. Just to let you know, I have worn out a vertical milling machine making these items. My greatest achievement was getting the US dealer I wanted, took a while to get BC to handle them but since them we have had fun with this.
There are now GG's for transmissions and other Tcases. Also a blocking plate for the driver side air vent. The growth of this product has been great and a lot of fun.
If some of you want something specific let Chuck or me know and we will help you out
TOFIC

OP
OP
BroncoWanted

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
Cool. I'm glad to know that this product was designed and made by a true Bronco Guru. Makes me feel alot better about having it on my Bronco. I will get you the # off of the plate as soon as I can clean out the floor enough to get under the bronco. Would it be possible to get the history that goes with the plate? Thanks again.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I cut the floor boards out of my "new" Bronco and discovered a clear cover on the T-Case.

I kind of had to laugh at this one BW. Crawling around underneath is usually one of the first things you do when looking at a potential purchase. And those things are normally pretty visible. even just by leaning over far enough and looking under the truck. Are you telling us you bought a Bronco, got it home and started cutting on the body, all without ever getting underneath?
Now that's trust!! Which rhymes with "rust". And that stands for, Bronco!
Or was it just covered in muck and you couldn't tell, or is it pretty much a beater anyway and wasn't worth getting dirty for, since you already knew it needed work?
Just bustin' your chops a bit. Struck me as kind'a funny when I read it.

Paul

OP
OP
BroncoWanted

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
Hadn't thought about it that way that does sound pretty funny. Actually it was covered in mud on pas side. Drivers side showed rebuild markings and I couldn't see any leaks through the mud. Figured it was ok if all it took was mud to seal the leaks. Plus I had the fever for a bronco BAD!!!!!!! And wife said ok

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

I'll be reinstalling a Gear Gawker on a rebuilt Dana 20. (Serial number on the cover is less than 100.)

Is there a particular type of sealant (standard RTV?) to use when sealing it to the case? Is there a good way to make sure the bolt holes are sealed properly?

(And this question may be answered when I look at it closer; but, I'm interested in knowing which way the line (for fluid level is positioned. Closer to the high side of the case?)

Thanks

Jeff

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've wondered about the line too, but figured it would be easy to determine once you lay it up to the case.
You should be able to visibly align the line with the fill-hole to determine the proper orientation.
I'm guessing the lower position, but check it out to see. It should be roughly equal to the bottom edge of the site/fill plug hole.

For sealing, I would use a black RTV. Something like Permatex Ultra-Black I would think. Spread it thin and even, at least on the outside, so it doesn't look all goobered up under the cover.

Paul

krisbassett

I want a GG oil pan for my 351!! Looks real cool! I'm def going to be getting one for my D20!

matt w

Bronco Guru
I rebuilt and added a TeraLow in January...I put one of those "GearGawkers" on my fresh t-case ,,,,just so I could gawk at the new gears! ;D;)......OH and at the time of me rebulding the d-20 since I had a twin stick I made my own "T-case/Drive Shaft Gawker" window in the floor right next to the shifters!

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I was never really sold on these until I found some clear gear oil that someone was using in the see thru diff covers, with the clear oil you can see all the gears working which is pretty cool. I just ordered one for myself and I am going to get the clear diff covers as well. Something about gears that just look cool. I like that I will actually be able to see them thru the fluid. I am going to cut a thin piece of plexiglass to go over the polycarbonate cover to protect it from getting scratched, that way when the plexiglass gets scratched up I can just put a new one over it again.