• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing Windshield glass

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I just picked up my new windshield glass and am about to install it. They glass shop I got it from told me I should use sealer and they were even nice enough to give me a caulk tube of the sealer.

My question is where and how do I apply the sealer?

Do I put some inside the inside of the gasket before I put it around the glass?
Do I put some in the outer channel of the gasket before or after I put the rope around it?

I am assuming I need to do both but wanted to check.

I had my aluminum trim polished and have heard I should put it in the seal/gasket before I install everything to the frame.
I have also heard to use soapy water on the inner seal before installing so it flips over the frame easier.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Don't use sealer. It the rubber is new or in good shape it won't leak. the gasket is designed to be installed with out sealer.
Glass shops use sealer on everything because most of them don't care if it is done right as long as it does not leak.
Regarding the trim my guess is put the gasket on the glass then install trim on gasket then install the whole thing.
Get some soapy water, a long piece of 1/4 rope and a friend. put the rope in the gasket groove for window frame. Soap it up good. Set it in place and have a friend hold it in place. Get in the truck and as you work to rope out of the groove the gasket will slip over the window frame. Easy to do once you get the hang of it.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I wouldn't install the trim until the whole thing is installed. Prevents the chance to geek it up.
I agree with Phred about the sealer mostly but would try to get some in the corners as they're nearly right angles and the seal is rounded at the corners. Use a string inside the seal to help pull it over the mounting flange in the frame after it is positioned.
I have to replace mine as I broke the glass taking it out of the frame and will have it installed by someone who knows how, plus they will be responsible if it breaks during installation.

ogr

Loc.
Vail
Windshield

I just had a new one installed as I too broke mine removing it. They really lubed the gasket and frame on install because once in they needed to push and pull to get everything lined up perfect. They didn't use sealant on mine.
Be sure and measure the glass as mine was a bit narrower at the top and it would be easy to flip it around.

Sweathog

Loc.
Lansing
How much more was the glass shops quote to install the glass? Glass America did the job for me under $130 - material and labor. As Broncow72 stated- They are responsible for breaking the glass during install.
It can be done if your careful and have a reliable helper. No sealer. Aersol silicone helps lubricate the cord as you pull it out of the gasket.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
The shop wanted $136 for the glass and another $160 to install. I am going to try it. It cant be that bad.
I also need to install the three peices for the top in a few weeks.

Thanks,
John

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
the install is easy. just wrap a string in the gasket groove. set in place and pull the stirng. it only takes a few minutes.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
No doubt, I still have my windshield trim sitting in my garage after I put the windshield in a couple years ago. Do it before hand!

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
What kind of string/rope are you guys using to install your windshield glass?

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
Us the string you find at Home Depot that comes in a roll of either green/pin/etc. Thin and used for contruction like stakes in the ground/cement work. Don't know the actual name of it but you will find it on a hand held roller that is yellow. It's thin enough to get into the grooves before placing it in the frame, and strong enough to pull the shit out of. Slight pressure from the outside as you go around and you will end up looking silly tugging and making circular motions when you get to the corners.

Here it is. Works everytime, and I have done a # of these old windshields on Mustangs:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-18-x-225-ft-Twisted-Mason-Line-Yellow-17999/202079621

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I watched Safelite install mine and I think I would attempt it next time.
While pulling the rope (2 guys one on each side) they kind of smacked the front side of the glass with their open hand and it went right in.

broncman66

Loc.
Spring, TX
I've seen nylon "parachute cord" from Home Depot used before. When I did mine last year, I used 1/4" thick cotton rope found at Lowe's. I did this last one by myself, and while I was able to do it, it would have been much easier and quicker to have an extra set of hands to put pressure on the glass (from the front) while pulling the rope. Oh, and the corners are a royal PITA!! Had to use duct tape, rope, and needle nose pliers to get a couple of the corners to pull through. But it is definitely a d.i.y. project, have fun :cool: