• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My tires should be on the ground! Time for a change!

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
I never thought I would see the day my son would tell me I need to modify my Bronco like his Jeep (I gave him). After him telling me i am not getting full travel from my set up I took the challenge and lifted the truck on the ground and what ya know, my shocks are exteneded 27" and have 5" left!!! I found the limit is the springs. Clamped at the top and bottom they will not stretch enough for full use of the shock. (I tested it on a ramp also) On the Heep, he does not have a top clamp and it allows the spring to leave the seat when fully articulated. I guess this is what I need to do. Anyone done this? Set up includs BC 4.5" coils, extended arms, W/H degreed bushings. Here's pics of mine...
Springs barely stretch!

06182009006.jpg
[/IMG]
06182009007.jpg
[/IMG]
06182009005.jpg
[/IMG]
06052009023.jpg
[/IMG]

My sons ZJ
06052009012.jpg
[/IMG]

bwnieder

Contributor
I am not sure about the shocks but I do know that is a great looking Bronco you have there!

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
You would need some sort of guide to keep the spring in line with the tower, it looks like the Jeep has that. If you just take off the clamp, the first time you flex like that the spring will be nowhere near the tower when you come back down.

73bronco

I really don't see the need in copying a j@@P :eek: I don't think the Bronco springs will work well with leaving the cup as the top is not entirly flat. I think each time they leave the top mount they will be noisy getting back to it. It looks to me like you have plenty of flex the way it is. Ramping it is good but nothing beats the real world testing, have you noticed any lifting of a tire on your bronco while wheeling? My bronco will flex out well on the ramp but it really starts working hard while wheeling. I think your springs are not your limiting factor too. I am running stock(literally bone stock) springs in the rear of my bronco and they flex great! Pic attached.......

Attachments

• IMG_0213_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0213_640x480.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0214_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0214_640x480.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0229_640x480_1.jpg
    IMG_0229_640x480_1.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0231_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0231_640x480.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 128

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Those springs look pretty big around. Are they F 150 springs?

bigjhoov

nobody
Yeah, those look like old superlift or rancho springs. Just get a good set of progressive or linear rate springs and it should fix all that.

OP
OP
FASTERDAMITT

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
These are BC Bronco's 4.5" coils. They ride good but as you can see they don't stretch down very well. An yes I can lift one front wheel when offroad and still not use all the shock. I would bet more people have a similar issue without knowing it. My Bronco articulates as good as most I think but now I have seen what my old heep will do and thought I was using all of my 32"s of droop! You think my springs are larger diameter than should be?

bigjhoov

nobody
Dunno, they look like pretty big wire in the first pic. How old are they?

bigjhoov

nobody
Here's a pic of my BC 3.5" coils. Spacing between the coils seems a little different. What are you actually trying to acheive? There are multiple points that cause bind on the Bronco, like c-bushings, radius bushings, trac bar, etc. The Jeeps avoid some of this because they use a 3-link type set-up. Couple that with johnny joints or heims and they really free up.

S7300044cb.JPG

OP
OP
FASTERDAMITT

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
Ok guys I'm not crazy! My springs are 1.5 years old. The alxe is hanging, maybe that's why they look different. I am trying to acheive is to utilize the articulation my shocks will allow. That's why we all buy long travel shocks is to gain more droop. If I take off the clamp on the top of the spring on just the drivers side, they drop seven inchs. IMO the spring should not limit the droop, only a limiting strap. Look at these pics... It could have drooped further with the spring clamp off but the diff vent hose was tight! We are looking at 7"s of lost travel! Anyone else test this on thier Bronco?
06192008001.jpg
[/IMG]
06192008003.jpg
[/IMG]
06192008004.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's a pic last winter on the ramp.
Toms046-1.jpg
[/IMG]

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Looks like you are using a non progressive rate lift coil in there. What you need is a set of crawler coils.

BTW, My buddy Kurt has a set up on the front of his EB that has a guide pin that lets the front coil drop out of the front bucket and it works killer. You may not need to go that route though. I would try a different set of coils. Those look stiff as hell.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Thick wire and stiff as heck. I agree. Different springs.

OP
OP
FASTERDAMITT

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
Maybe BC sent me the wrong coils??? I know they ride great compared to the Duffs progressive coils I took off that where about from 2003 or 4. Hmmm. If I go softer coil I think it may be too soft compared to the 11 pack leafs out back.

rlwhetsel

Loc.
Staunton
The only problem with leaving the clamp off the spring is that when the spring re-seats there is nothing to guide it back into the seat. Jeeps have a bumpstop inside the spring so it usually goes back into place.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I have tried most of the available EB springs and the Deavers are the softest available and will allow the most droop. Because they are softer you will notice a little more body roll or sway down teh road, but the ride is great.

67Stallion

Loc.
Missoula,Montana
3 weeks ago i put deavers 3 1/2 front and rear, and i have no body roll or sway, the front ended up 4 1/2 and back 3 1/2, so rig sits dead level. I thought maybe it was going to roll and sway like trees in the breeze, but stable as can be, i need to put longer brake lines and shocks on to even realize there potential!