• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Arm Rest cover install?

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
I just got my covers from Tom's Bronco Parts to recover my seats and finished the rear seat yesterday. One question though - how do the rear arm rest covers install? I can't seem to figure out how the material attaches at the bottom to pull the covers tight. Inside the arm rest is all metal...in addition, the trim on the back appears to line the edging on the back side, but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated, there has to be something obvious I'm missing.

Here's the armrest covers I got:
http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product.php?id=1592

Thanks from a newbie!

EBGeek

Good question, I haven't tackled mine yet. I was told to use contact cement. Anyone had experience with this?

OP
OP
g8rb8t

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Well, I called Tom's and got the number of the distributor. Their "tech support" guy said that "you've got to figure out a way to attach it underneath." Since the inside is metal and I didn't have a good solution to pull tightly to the metal I gave up and I'm staying with my stock parchment ones. Back to Tom's they go, for a set of replacement front arm rests

spieser

Loc.
Shalimar, FL
I got some material to redo mine and instead I ended up using vinyl spray paint to match my upholstery. It worked nice. My armrests did not look good either.

66fora69er

Contributor
Well, I called Tom's and got the number of the distributor. Their "tech support" guy said that "you've got to figure out a way to attach it underneath." Since the inside is metal and I didn't have a good solution to pull tightly to the metal I gave up and I'm staying with my stock parchment ones. Back to Tom's they go, for a set of replacement front arm rests

Who makes replacements rear seat arm rests? I'd love to have a set of black ones

browngr5

Loc.
Eagle, Idaho
3M "High Strength" spray adhesive. I sprayed the top and under the armrest. turn upholstery inside out and sprayed upholstery and started with the front top edge seam line. Lay down and fold around tight.
Wrap under and stuff foam block in there to hold until dry. I left my black foam block in there just because it didnt hurt and you can't see it. So far it hasn't started lifting.

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
3M "High Strength" spray adhesive. I sprayed the top and under the armrest. turn upholstery inside out and sprayed upholstery and started with the front top edge seam line. Lay down and fold around tight.
Wrap under and stuff foam block in there to hold until dry. I left my black foam block in there just because it didnt hurt and you can't see it. So far it hasn't started lifting.

Yep,
Helps if you hit the vinyl with a heat gun before you start to stretch it over too. I didn't use a foam block, just stuck it part way down on to the metal bar of the seat until it dried. It also isn't very forgiving and will show through any cracks etc. from the old stuff so prep accordingly.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Bringing this to the top... any other techniques out there? TBP claims an "easy install" Contact cement or spray adhesive seems fine, but how do you stretch the new cover tight even so that it looks good? Also, did you fold the new cover over and adhere it to the metal on the inside of the armrest frame?

Any advice appreciated!

Larry4mf

Rear arm rest cover install

Bump. I'm in the same Boat. Do these go over the original plastic covers, or straight to the foam? Is there any photos out there of a successful install?

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
They go over the original covers. You might need some padding or foam if your original covers are cracked. A heat gun is needed to get a good fit. I gave up and had a local auto upholstery shop do mine, they turned out great, but was expensive. The advise above is how he told me he did it... cut some foam to fit over the old armrest, heated the material, stretched it and used contact cement then wrapped the underside with saran wrap or plastic and sprayed expanding foam in there. The expanding foam puts even pressure on the new vinyl where it adheres to the metal. Stuff some foam in there seems easier, but that's what he told me he did...

Attachments

• IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 100

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I used 3m super 90 spray contact adheasive.
I turned the covers inside out and sprayed the inside of just the top section of the cover and the arm rest and stuck it on like a inside out hat. I worked it tight and let it sit overnight to set up. Then the next day I sprayed the sides and rolled it down like a condom pulling and smoothing as I went. I did not roll it to the inside yet. I wrapped it with masking tape and let it sit overnight to set up. The next day I trimmed the excess length so I would have 1 inch extending on the inside and cut some slits to make the vinyl lay as best as it can. I sprayed adheasive and rolled the vinyl in and when happy I put in a piece of heavy plastic inside the arm rest and then stuffed the armrest with rolled up newspaper as tight as I could and let it sit untill the next day. It wasn't easy and wasn't fun and my second one came out better that the first but it got done.

Larry4mf

That seat looks great Fireball. Did you pay to have just the Arm Rest redone or the whole seat? WHat was the price if you don't mind me asking. I'm working my way through the front seats, Thankfully the rear seat covers from Jeff's made easy with a zipper.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
I paid for the whole thing. Too much.... $575 labor. The only materials he provided were padding for under the rear seat bottom (we reused the existing foam) and some padding for the armrests and new burlap for the front seats. I brought him the seat covers, foam, etc. I also had seat heaters for the front seats, which added to the time/cost.

Larry4mf

totally worth it from the looks of it. My front seats are finished up and so are my hands.

DixieBlueRider

Loc.
Goochland VA
Can anyone post pictures with dimensions for the 66 Bronco rear armrest!

I have a rear seat from a 70's Bronco for my 66 and the armrest are not in good shape, and I have never really liked the look of the bulky 70's armrest but I do like that the smaller metal frame on the 70's rear seat, giving the passengers a lil more room to spread out.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I paid for the whole thing. Too much.... $575 labor. The only materials he provided were padding for under the rear seat bottom (we reused the existing foam) and some padding for the armrests and new burlap for the front seats. I brought him the seat covers, foam, etc. I also had seat heaters for the front seats, which added to the time/cost.

That's about what I was quoted to have mine done with me providing everything. I could fork out the money so I got up the nerve to do it myself. Wasn't to bad and they turn out good to me

Attachments

• 20130717_200248.jpg
    20130717_200248.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 32