• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

67 Bronco Tcase shift pattern

ja.stoner63

Loc.
Chandler, Arizona
Thanks for the help.

I just purchased a 67 Bronco, manual 3 speed on the floor, and was told the transfer case is original and was rebuilt a few years ago.

The front axle is a Dana 44 and rear is a Ford 9" donor was a 76' Bronco.

Couple questions-

What is the shift pattern for this Dana 20 tcase "in 1967"?

What differences are in the "T" shift vs "J" shift.

Also seems there is a big advantage to having a twin pattern "T" stick, is it hard to convert?

70_Steve

Old Guy
What is the shift pattern for this Dana 20 tcase "in 1967"?

What differences are in the "T" shift vs "J" shift.

Also seems there is a big advantage to having a twin pattern "T" stick, is it hard to convert?
Hi, and Welcome to the site.

Pic below shows the T-shift on the left and J-shift on the right.

What kinds of differences are you asking about. T-shift had a 2.46 low range. J-shift was 2.3something... Obviously the shifter and linkage is different. There's different interlocking between shift rails, making the j-shift a little easier to twin-stick and get the independent shifting of front and rear drive....

Don't understand twin pattern... Are you asking about twin stick shifters?? The big advantage of twin-stick shifters is to get independent shifting of front and rear drive (I heard that somewhere before...) The independent shifting is a little harder to achieve on the t-shift because of the two detent rods between the shift rails, interlocking the two, and only allowing certain comb inations of front and rear drive. To get the independent shifting, the transfer case needs to be disassembled, and either the two detent rods (pills) need to be removed, or the shift rails need to be modified to allow the independent shifting.

Is that the kind of info you were looking for?

Attachments

• transfer case shift knobs.JPG
    transfer case shift knobs.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 139
OP
OP
ja.stoner63

ja.stoner63

Loc.
Chandler, Arizona
Yes, thank you! So if the shifter moves to the right and left it is a “J” shift.

Another question-

I have a 2.5 body lift only, running 33 x 12.5 15”

How much suspension lift would I need to install 35” tires? Any make/brand you like the best? Long travel?

I would like to keep as much of the tires under the Bronco, so is there a certain wheel size I need to consider? Back spacing?

I’m thinking a 17” wheel is the right fit.

I know you all have been down this road and I thank you for your help.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Yes, thank you! So if the shifter moves to the right and left it is a “J” shift.
Yes, a J-shift. You can tell by looking at the shift rails also...

Another question-

I have a 2.5 body lift only, running 33 x 12.5 15”

How much suspension lift would I need to install 35” tires? Any make/brand you like the best? Long travel?
I'm currently running a 2 1/2" suspension lift and a 2" body lift. My rear tires just touch the rear wheel well when stuffing.. Another inch would be good.

I would like to keep as much of the tires under the Bronco, so is there a certain wheel size I need to consider? Back spacing?

I’m thinking a 17” wheel is the right fit.
Stock backspacing is around 3 1/2". If that Dana44 did come out of a 76 (as did mine;) ) you need to stay around 3 1/4 to 3 1/2" on a 15" wheel. I have 3 3/4" backspacing on my Centerline Hellcats, and the wheel weights hit the tierod ends. Had to go to stick-on weights. Also at this backspacing, the tires hit the radius arms.

The question you didn't ask was about gearing for running those 35's. Unless you've already got that figured out....

OP
OP
ja.stoner63

ja.stoner63

Loc.
Chandler, Arizona
Great information thanks!

Yea the gearing I will need to work out as well… Do you have a picture of your rig?

I'm just hoping to speed it up with all your great input.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Is your bronco cut? Common size lift for 35's is 3.5" or 4.5". I'm going to be running 3.5" of SL(BC Bronco Coils, custom long arms and 9 pack Leafs) with 1" of BL.

Everyone of the vendors on here have excellent Lift kits, I really like my BC Springs, but I haven't had my rig on the road yet!

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
My opinion, there are too many combinations to come up with a answer to your question about proper suspension for 33s. You could just trim your fenders and stuff 33s under it. You could add a 2" lift and it will work. Many different ways.

OP
OP
ja.stoner63

ja.stoner63

Loc.
Chandler, Arizona
Nice photo Steve.

67Bronco.jpg

Here is mine.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like more than just a body lift there ja. You know what kind of suspension is under there right now? If those are 33's then it looks like 35's might almost fit as-is.

Paul

OP
OP
ja.stoner63

ja.stoner63

Loc.
Chandler, Arizona
I'm not sure on the suspension. I was told by the past owner it was stock. But I was thinking it did look taller as well.

It feels pretty tired so will replace with a 3.5 lift.

I have dual tanks.

Is the selector value switch under the drivers seat? And if so which way is the front tank and which way is the rear tank?

Thanks,
JA

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess it could be, pictures (and my eyes) can be notoriously skewed.

You can measure between the axle and the frame to verify approximately how it sits. I think stock is roughly 7" in the front.

Paul

jrosa2

Moving the selector switch(top) towards the passenger door operates the auxillary tank. towards driver side operates rear tank