• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford's 68 Ford Bronco

MikeyFord3

So i bought a bronco for 300 bucks off a guy in my hunting club about a week ago, and im already starting to work on it. i have been reading other build thread and decided to start my own. I have always wanted one to restore and lift. The bronco as you can see is in pretty rough shape. The interior of the bronco has the usual floor board rust spots and a couple little holes here and there. Of coarse my mom and dad were totaly against me buying it i did anyway cuz im 18 and i know best ;).Feel free to look at the pictures and give me any advise or any help possible. You can critize all ya want because its just going to make me want to do it more to prove ya wrong..;D

so here she is
Picture005-1.jpg

Picture008-2.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture014-1.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture017-1.jpg

Picture023-1.jpg

Picture030-1.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Start tearing stuff off... You got a ways to go.. ;)

bax

Contributor
Old Member
well for 300 bucks I would say take it apart and sell what is good and junk the rest. There is a great opportunity to learn in taking it apart. However there are few good parts on a 68. I say this and you should know that the 68's are my favorite. 68 doors are a good part to sell however your doors look rusted out. You may be able to save the window frames. You could save the rear end. if it has a 4.11 gear in it you could sell the center section. The front end is a 30 there not worth much. lets say none of the body is any good, nothing to sell there. So back to running gear. the 3 speed trans is not worth much, The bell housing and linkage is worth more than the trans. The dana 20 transfer case is worth at least 50 bucks. No power steering or power breaks, nothing to well there. Hows the radiator? Does the motor run? You could sell the frame, title and glove box door. so lets add this up.
rear $ 100.00 if its a posi and a 4.11 gear
dana 20 $ 50.00
Door internals $ 50.00
Trans parts $ 25.00
Engine $ 100.00 If it's a 289 and complete ( their getting hard to find )
Frame and glove box door / title. $ 100.00
Drive shafts if there any good $ 25.00
So that total is $ 450.00

You made $ 150.00 dollars and learned how to take a bronco apart. thats good experience.

Take your profit and put it towards a bronco in better shape that you can drive and work on at the same time. You will at least get to drive it. It will suck up all your "extra" cash and cost you a few girl friends but that is another life lesson that's headed your way.

I dont want to pee in your punch but I feel you are in over your head. Now your 18 and I am 48 so you prove me wrong. I wish you good luck. I am on your side even if it does not seem that way.

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
I would take the doors off and make it into a roadster. That is what I am doing.

Also, if at all possible, I would not take the inner rockers out. It can mess up too many other things. If you can weld good, you can just patch them.

PolarrrBearrr

Loc.
P.R. of NJ
Yeesh, and I thought mine as bad.

You might be able to bring it back to life, but you're going to spend a small fortune doing it. I'd say that the body is a total wash - you can either save up and get a complete tub - if your welding skills are excellent then sheetmetal, or save the money and go with fiberglass. Depending on what the frame looks like, there is probably a ton of work there too...

Figure out what you want from the truck, what you want it to look like, etc., etc., then see if this truck can fill that role for you.

Then start collecting parts and hope your parents don't want their garage anytime soon.

Good luck and welcome from a fellow Jersey boy (oh, and there are almost no used parts in this area anywhere.)

OP
OP
MikeyFord3

MikeyFord3

update onBuild Thread-Ford's 68 FordBronco

Hey guys here some of the things i alreadt started doing to the bronco.Well first I got it runnning..learned it has no brakes :eek:. Second tore everything out the cab and started welding up the back hole in the corner, as well as the small rust line on the bottom of the back wheel well. Think i need to work on the welding skills.BUT here are some of the good things i found this old horse has.. power steering, dana 44 under it with drum i can sell(already have a rebuilt dana44 disc brake).I also whiped down the fenders with some lacker thinner lol took of some of that white spray paint off so i can sand them ;D I also posted some pics of the little rust holes i need to fix. If anyone has advice on that let me know thanks.
PS: bax i will sure to do that or at least try lol.

Last edited:

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I think this will be a great learning experience for you and it's clear you already have some sort of experience working with metal. For $300 it's a perfect project to start with. It will only improve your skills and knowlegde working on EB's.

OP
OP
MikeyFord3

MikeyFord3

lol well bronco73 i really have no expierence working with metal. This is the first time i tried anything lol. I mean i helped a whole bunch of my wheelin buddies on there jeeps, rigs and stuff and watched how the fabricated new things out of metal. Welded a few times for uhm.. but really I just took some measurements and cut the pieces needed and started welding haha..
thanks tho

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
More power to ya. Keep on moving forward. It will keep you out of trouble anyways, well for now. Until you start runnign it off road. Then the fun begins.

OP
OP
MikeyFord3

MikeyFord3

lol yeahh but it all depends how the thing turns out, if it turns out to nice then idk about the off roading.. lol I learned the hard way of wheeling my daily driver and not having it for a long time to drive lol, but we will see.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
It looks like you are using a sand blaster to clean the afflicted areas . If so , make sure that you use some kind of rust killer after you weld it because the blasting will drive the rust into the metal and resurface later. I was thinking that you had a perfect candidate for a fiberglass body but I think you will have a lot of fun repairing what you have . Keep up the good work and continue sharing with us ;)

howiebilt

OP
OP
MikeyFord3

MikeyFord3

actually im using some type of metal cleaner wheel my dad got when he was at home depot it just screws on the the grider. IM also using a wiz wheel with some sanding pads. Thanks too already having some fun reduing the inetior next is to buy some diamond plate for the floor pans up front, then rhino liner =].

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
well for 300 bucks I would say take it apart and sell what is good and junk the rest. ...
I dont want to pee in your punch but I feel you are in over your head. Now your 18 and I am 48 so you prove me wrong. I wish you good luck. I am on your side even if it does not seem that way.
I dunno bax, the kid has moxy and doesn't appear to be the stereotypical 18 yo slouch. I like his chances. :)

bax

Contributor
Old Member
More power to him Like I said I am on his side. kinda rooting for him but knowing reality will bite you in the butt.

OP
OP
MikeyFord3

MikeyFord3

lol thanks mark and bax yeah reality does come to bite ya in the butt. Im not saying it is going to be easy with work and college but i really think its fixable i mean its going to cost a pretty penny but thats why im workin two jobs. The reason i want to fix it is because all my friends are buying all these nice cars and saying oh i bought this. I want to be able to say yeah well i built this and this is what it looked like before.. and i just love early broncos

PolarrrBearrr

Loc.
P.R. of NJ
I think I can honestly say I take back everything I said in my previous post - except it costing a lot of money. You've attacked that with a fury that most 18 y.o.s don't have, and with that being said, I can't wait to see where this ends up.

...and if you are like me, you just learn to ignore the people in their new Hondas - because I know once mine's back on the road I'll be the one turning heads.

Good luck. I'll be watching...

OP
OP
MikeyFord3

MikeyFord3

Thanks polarbear and yeah i am ignoring everyone and there new cars and lifted jeeps. My minds set on one thing the bronco cuz i know it will loook thousands times better then any of theere jeeps that they have.

OP
OP
MikeyFord3

MikeyFord3

Front clips is off

Well this is what i got done tonight.. I took off the passenger side quarter pannel and grill. Started doing some sanding so i can primer it. I left the driver side one on because im not going to be doing any body work to it, just need a new one.
The part that bolts to the grill well or whatever it is that holds the quater pannel on needs to be replaced(third row first ps). Since the one on the driver side is good, but the quarter pannel isnt im just goin to cut that one out flip it around and weld it on the passenger side pannel. Also i might cut out the good metal off the quarter pannel and use it for the rust spots at the top of the firewall where the vents are in my hood (top whole row)or the inner wheel well(second row first two pics)

I also went the autozone and bought spray on ruberizer for the frame, they had a greatt sale like 3 for 12 bucks or something. Plan to use that when take the tub off.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
well you said it has a dana 44 up front and a complete power steering set up. That will add $ 500.00 to the part out option. So that would put you at $ 950.00 for a $ 300.00 investment.
There, that should motivate you some.