• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter issue on a 90 mustang motor on 1969 3 speed

moe d

Loc.
chicago, il
ok, i have a 1969 bronco with a 3 speed. I installed the 1990 mustang motor but had to change the flywheel to the F-150 164 tooth(?) 50 oz flywheel. The mustang mini starter wont disengage from the flywheel at starting and wanted to know, do i get a 1969 bronco starter ( that matched trans ) to fix this or do i get the F-150 starter ( matches flywheel) to solve this.. Need to get it up and running tonight so i would appreciate the input!

Update: i used a 81-98 F-150 flywheel and the stock flex plate that was on my old 1969 motor

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You are correct, you have the wrong starter.
The '90 mustang starter is an automatic starter. That is back when ford ran 2 different starters this is the one that was used with automatic transmissions. For some reason they commonized starters in cars and when they started running the 5-speeds they started using the automatic starters instead of the manual starters. The key difference is the depth of the starter pinion.

You are correct, if you put a stock Bronco 3-speed starter in the truck it will work correctly. That mustang starter can be saved for the day when you decide you want an automatic. It will work with C4, C6, AOD, 4R70W automatics.