• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Y vs T steering

stang67

Loc.
TN
I am about to purchase my first EB. It's a 76 with stock power steering. The suspension is stock with 31x10.50 tires. What is the difference in driving a "T" steering vs. "Y" steering. I have seen if I keep the stock riding height it doesn't mater. But, can you actually tell the difference while driving it? I have some play in the steering and will need to do some work. Eventually I will go to a 2.5 to 3.5" lift in the future. Just looking for guidance as to what the driving difference is and if I should change it up front if I am going to lift the vehicle or do leave it alone until I do the lift?

gpete

I am about to purchase my first EB. It's a 76 with stock power steering. The suspension is stock with 31x10.50 tires. What is the difference in driving a "T" steering vs. "Y" steering. I have seen if I keep the stock riding height it doesn't mater. But, can you actually tell the difference while driving it? I have some play in the steering and will need to do some work. Eventually I will go to a 2.5 to 3.5" lift in the future. Just looking for guidance as to what the driving difference is and if I should change it up front if I am going to lift the vehicle or do leave it alone until I do the lift?
Change to 1 ton styeering while you at it

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
You will have a lot of people say change the Y steering. I have a 76 Y setup with a 3.5" lift and drive 85 MPH down the hwy without any issues at all. It tracks straight, I have no bump steer and think it handles just as well as many new trucks I have driven. That said, when I lifted it I added a drop pitman, drop trackbar and the correct new bushings to make sure the geometry was right. Im my very humble opinion, I think if you do it right, you will not have any issues with the Y steering.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Kind of depends on what you plan to do with the Bronco. You will find that rock crawling and "Y" steering is not a good thing, I've seen many of the "Y" styles get bent up crawling. For the street the "Y" steering will be fine and might even be better that the "T" style.

OP
OP
stang67

stang67

Loc.
TN
It will definitely be a street vehicle. Maybe the occasional field ride but no rocks. I know it wanders alot right now and I will be searching for play. I just thought I would get some opinions on the different styles. So what I am hearing is T vs Y doesn't matter on the street? So if I can get the play out of what is on it I am fine? will the steering handle better with larger tires such as 33's? I dont have a lift but the rear was cut for some reason in the past. I don't even know if they will fit but I want a good ride when I take it out for a spin.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
As was said driving differance is basically none. Its more of a strenght issue when you start going to larger tires and hard offroading.
Wandering can be caused by a few items like a loose trac bar or worn bushings, toe in adjustment or not enough caster. Even tire pressure can make a differance.
A lot of broncos have been cut in the rear to clear bigger tires 33's will fit a stock hieght bronco although you may have to do some slight triming of the front fender as they tend to rub. Also if you flex it up it will probably rub. a 2.5in lift is a good choice for 33in tires and a street driven bronco.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I like my "Y" but then I have an open front diff and limit my wheeling to cow trails. The street manners are definitly better with the "Y." I must be a true believer since I just replaced the whole thing with a new one!From what I've seen, the biggest reason to go to a "T" is that the "Y" can't take the forces of a locked up diff in the rocks.

OP
OP
stang67

stang67

Loc.
TN
where did you get the parts for the full replacement? I am not sure how much will need replaced but if I am only a few parts shy of the whole thing being done then I will do it all at one time.

Thanks for all the info. You guys are awesome!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
where did you get the parts for the full replacement? I am not sure how much will need replaced but if I am only a few parts shy of the whole thing being done then I will do it all at one time.

Thanks for all the info. You guys are awesome!

Tom's of course!
Those guys are my heros.