• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

shift rails

keybros

Hey Guys, 73, 302, c-4, j pattern 20. my problem is while replacing old for new j shifter from Duff, i pulled the shift rail for the front axle from the t-case, supid i know. My question is will the shift rail go back in or do i need to do something else????. thanks for any help. New to site.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Just push it back. Might have to tap it lightly. You didn't hurt it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You mean you pulled it all the way out?

Good and bad. Don't try and drive it. So far you probably have not hurt any parts. But trying to drive it you probably will.

What happened is the set screw holding the shift for to the rail must have come loose. Just stuffing the rail back in will NOT fix it. You need to get the rail in and routed throught the shift fork.

the good, probably don't need to buy any parts. Some oil, yes. Gaskets, good idea. But you need to put the transfer case back together correctly. That can only be done from inside. I have done some work through the inspection cover on the truck before. Not easy. Better to just pull the transfer case and do it on the bench.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sorry, I thought you just pulled it out of alignment with the other rail. The J does (should) have one pill in the rear position. It usually takes some finese to get a rail out even with the forks loose. Probably easier to take it all out in order to get the fork back on.

OP
OP
K

keybros

Thanks you for the help, once t case is removed from the truck is it a matter of finessing the rail through the shift forks?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I will say yes. You may need to play with the position of the rear shifter for the pill to drop over enough to get the shaft in. I don't deal with enough J-shifts to know exactly what pills and springs are involved.
There is a set screw on the forks that is loose or in the bottom of the transfer case. Once you get the shaft back into the fork it should line up with a divit in the rail to properly locate the fork on the rail with the set screw.

Be prepared, it is tight in there and it will fight you. It always fights me.

OP
OP
K

keybros

Thanks, sounds like the weekend project i wasn't planning on. appreciate the help.