• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What grade bolt for the shackle?

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Had to cut the head of the original shackle bolt ( bolt rusted to the sleeve)
Now I need a new one. What grade bolt is required? any old hardware bolt? Grade 5? or grade 8?

Does anyone have a photo of which sleve they are talking about "cutting with a hack saw"?

From the center I see the Bolt, than a small sleeve, then rubber, then what looks like a large sleeve, then the actual shackle.
Are you saying cut the larger sleve, (that contacts the shackle body???)
thanks
reamer

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I would definitely use a grade 8 bolt for that.

If you are replacing the bushings you want to get both sleeves and the rubber out of the center of that.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
grade eight.

Last edited:

cbo

BC has a shackle bolt with a zurk fitting. Seems to make sense.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
that depends on what kind of bushing your going to use.

also to beat a dead horse grade 8

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
STAND-BY for a MAJOR PITA!! Had to cut and beat out my bushings last month...holy cow did that suck!

OP
OP
reamer

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow Got the old one out and new installed in 7 minutes!
I used by bench vise and put a socket (the same size as the inner sleeve on one side and a larger socket one on the other, then just squeezed out the old sleeve. Tapped out the ond rubber, Hack sawed the outer sleeve, caved it in on it's self and that fell out. then used the bench vise the "press in" the new bushings and sleeve. COOL!
reamer

brewchief

I just burn the rubber out and then cut the outer sleeve with the torch, I did both sides last year in about 40 min start to finish including two beers.

OP
OP
reamer

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't wait till Tuesday when FedEx showes up with the new 11-pack 3.5" leaf springs.

barronj

Bronco Guru
Seems to me, if I had to design everything, there would be automotive grade bolts (standard would be grade 8) and anything sold in a hardware store would be grade 5.

My 2 year old can break the head off of a 1/2" bolt from the Home Depot bolt bins. She's stronger than garlic, and we've got her on supplements. Hopefully, she'll be driving herself to kindergarten.;D