• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should 4R70W go into gear without controller?

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Just fired up the truck for the first time after installing the 4R70W but I haven't hooked up the Baumann controller. It's not doing anything when I put it in any of the forward drive gears or reverse.

Is the transmission controller absolutely necessary for the transmission to work? I was thinking at least 1st and reverse might work.

thanks,
dan

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Check the fluid level. Once I started mine I had to add and add to finally have enough to make it work.

Yes, you will have second gear in any of the forward drive positions. You will also have reverse. All without a computer. I did that by accident before.

IF you have the fluid filled and refilled and still don't have any gear, make sure the transfer case is in gear. After that it is time to start doing a few pressure tests and see if you are building any pressure. By this time I start worrying.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
hey guys, good news it was just fluid level. Had to add 3 quarts. I'm an automatic transmission newby. Hope I didn't burn anything up or take a few thousand miles off the life of the transmission by idling without enough fluid.

I took a cruise around the block but didn't realize I must have been in second gear the whole time.

Later last night I got the computer hooked up and was able to watch it shift through the gears while in D. Still haven't got on the freeway to confirm the overdrive works.

thanks for the help! I'll be updating my 4R70W build tonight. So far everything is working perfectly. THe only problem I've noticed is the ATLAS rear shifter is hard to engage. Also, I found that if I have the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in drive, then I try to put the transmission in Park I get a horrible grinding noise. I assume thats the parking pawls trying to engage while things are still spinning? is that normal?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
All sounds good.

The atlas hard to shift is normal. Automatics have some natural drive even in nuetral. there is some torque getting to the transfer case making the rear shifter difficult to shift. Placing it in park (before putting the transfer case in nuetral) can lock that output shaft and help the shifter shift. My personal preference is to be rolling 2-3 MPH, shift trans to nuetral, then shift the atlas. That little roll makes a huge difference in shifting the transfer case. Next best is to shut off the engine, shift, restart.

That grinding when shifting to park is the parking pawl taking a huge beating. If you look at the computer you will see some good vehicle speed on the display when not in park and the transfer case in nuetral. That is the speed of the output shaft of the transmission. That is why the atlas is hard to get into gear. The syncro is trying to stop that speed. If you get stuck in nuetral again, turn off the engine before shifting to Park to avoid the grinding.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Also, I found that if I have the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in drive, then I try to put the transmission in Park I get a horrible grinding noise. I assume thats the parking pawls trying to engage while things are still spinning? is that normal?

That's normal for an auto trans. With nothing to hold the output shaft the internal trans friction spins it.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
thanks for the info guys. I'm happy to report that this new transmission seems to be working extremely well. I've had to add a few more quarts and it may even still need another but all seems well. it is so easy to drive now. can't wait to get it offroad.