• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another gear question

getfuzzy

I can't make up my mind on what gears to run. I'm working on my FW axles and Lar's bar right now and need to pick some gears. I'm running a 5.0 with a C4 and 35's. I would like to run 4.30 but the front 44 is an HP and I can't find any one that makes them. I'll be at a 50/50 mix of driving and trail running. Please don't tell me to get an od as I'm kicking myself for not doing it already.Should I go with 4.11 or 4.56's

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I don't have a C4 but I have 5.0 EFI on a 351W with a stock 3 speed. I also have 35's and I don't think 4.11's are low enough. I plan to go to 3.73's some day but its not in the budget. I also plan on getting a five speed eventually so I'll have the overdrive.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My pick, with those options only, 4.56
The motor will take the extra RPM and the trans will like it and stay cooler.
The deeper gear will help turn those big tires with less strain from the driveshafts up.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
I don't have a C4 but I have 5.0 EFI on a 351W with a stock 3 speed. I also have 35's and I don't think 4.11's are low enough. I plan to go to 3.73's some day but its not in the budget. I also plan on getting a five speed eventually so I'll have the overdrive.

if you get a 5 speed you'll probably want 4.56's.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D With the 35's I would suggest 4:56 as best to work well and not be a dog good luck.:D :D :D Bill :cool: ;D %)