• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Neutral Safety Switch

dkoril

Loc.
Sandpoint, ID
Just installed a NV3500 and want to make sure i have a neutral safety switch installed and it works. Has anyone installed one with this type of trans conversion? Where would i find one? How do i install it? i went from an auto to manual conversion.

thanks
d

p.s. has anyone had any issues with the mount for the twin sticks AA sold with their kit? mine seems like it flexes a lot. just curious.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Most newer sticks don't have an NSS. Those trucks use a clutch switch; Ford wrapped it around the clutch MC pushrod, which isn't really an option for you. I'd find a simple SPST momentary (spring-loaded) lever switch with normally-open (NO) contacts rated for at least 5A. (Just like a horn button, but with a lever.) Install it on the firewall or pedal bracket so it's triggered only when the pedal is at max travel.

But Ford didn't put either in my truck - it never had anything preventing the starter from working when the key is START, and it has gotten me out of several jams.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I've driven a lot of manual transmission vehicles, both stock and modified, and none of them ever had a NSS. My 98 Camaro has a clutch switch, which requires the clutch to be fully depressed before the engine will start. That's the only starting interlock I've ever seen on stick shift.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, and like Steve said, you want to be able to (sometimes at least) crank the starter while in gear and the clutch is out. Can get you out of some interesting situations off-road. And even on-road on occasion, as in my case, when the clutch rod broke and I was able to start it when the lights turned green.

So at the very least, if you do decide to do a clutch-interlock switch, add a bypass switch too, so you can manually turn it off when needed.
Toyota trucks have this feature. I think their's are programmed so that when you're in 4-wheel drive, you can push the dash switch to turn the safety feature off.

Paul

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I don't use an NSS on my C4 auto. I can start my EB with the tranny in Drive. Just have to make sure there's nothing in front of me. When the engine fires, it takes off if I don't have my foot on the brake.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't use an NSS on my C4 auto. I can start my EB with the tranny in Drive. Just have to make sure there's nothing in front of me. When the engine fires, it takes off if I don't have my foot on the brake.

Well Gil, just make sure that nobody else ever drives your truck!
And the next time you have it at the muffler shop, or tire shop, or any other shop where they're likely to have someone in the driver's seat for even just a moment, make sure to tell them about it.
Saw a nice custom truck get driven off the back of the ramps at Quik-Way muffler once, because when they reached in the window to turn the engine on to check for leaks in the new exhaust, it was in reverse.
Didn't help matters that the custom shifter was hard to get a feel for, but that's how it goes when someone who doesn't know all the ins-and-outs of the vehicle get in it for the first time. And I think it was the truck owner that drove it up the ramps!
I'm just sayin'...

Yeah, I know you're more sensible than most, when it comes to these types of things, but wanted to mention all this anyway, in my safety-first kind of mindset.
Me, I'd have the NSS installed and working, but have an override switch installed for those times when you need the starter to work.

Paul

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
It happened when I did my EFI install. I must have unplugged it while doing the wiring. When I had it all ready to go, I tried to start the engine and nothing. Some troubleshooting found that there was no power going to the starter solenoid. I didn't think about checking the NSS and ran a wire from my ignition switch direct to the solenoid. I essentially bypassed the NSS. I later found the NSS disconnected but decided to just take it off.

OP
OP
dkoril

dkoril

Loc.
Sandpoint, ID
dirt donk is right. i was just in to get my oil change and noticed one of their saftey posts was bent. i asked the guy what happened and with a chuckle he said some ediot forgot to tell us his truck starts in gear. so when they went to do their oil check they fired her up in first and wham right into the post. he said that if he didnt hit it the truck would have driven into first ave. a busy street lots of people. the owner ran out and said something like oh yea forgot to tell about that.
i didnt want to be a victim of someone not knowing that my truck didnt have that saftey feature. so i will throw a bypass in.
thanks for the help
d