• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speed Bleed

Wiley

Loc.
Tucson, AZ
I replaced drums, shoes and wheel cylinders on my '73 and was having a hell of a time getting the system bled. Spongy pedal, pulling, and the dreaded "red" brake light that would not go off.

I was doing some research here and found out that some of you guys were using the Speed Bleeders. After putting them in, I cant believe how good these things work. Pedal came up nice and firm, pulling was adjusted out with an adjustment. And, the icing on the cake was that the brake sensor centered itself and the red light went off by itself.

Excellent recommendation!!!!

Jim

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you describe this "speed bleeder"?

I'm interested.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
What did they charge for them over at the zone? I rounded off one of my bleeders when I bled them a few weeks ago. Might be a good excuse to get a set of speed bleeders? Did they have them in stock or was it a special order?

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Yep. I've used them. Real time saver and no bugging the wife to help pump the brakes. I prefer the real McCoy Russell brand.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Only oddity I have had with speed bleeders is on a bike where the whole system was completely dry. Could not build enough pressure to open them (too much squishy air). Once the basic bleeding was done, actually had some fluid down to the brakes via gravity bleeding, then the speed bleeders would work.

ransil

Bronco Guru
At advance auto the are in the "help" section you just need to know your bleeder size. I just had 2 freeze up from corrosion, they were 4 -5 year old.

OP
OP
W

Wiley

Loc.
Tucson, AZ
Also found them in the "help section" at Auto Zone. They were $9.99 for two in the package. Maybe a little expensive, but I thought well worth the price for the headaches I was having.

BTW - The one thing I found out about these is that you have to make sure they are screwed in all the way, otherwise they will continue to bleed while you are working on another wheel, and will continue to bleed off fluid when finished.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Mine always leaked. Then had one corrode. Went back to stock.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thats only the second complaint I've heard about them ...... mine work fine and have held up for several years so far.