• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3G V belt pulley install issue

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Why is it impossible to get results when you search 3G? I know this has been covered but I can't find it. When I put the stock pulley on for my 3G conversion, it bottoms out against the housing of the alternator. If I shim it, I can't get the nut on the shaft. The last one I did i used a pulley from something else but don't remember what it was. So the question is, What V belt pulley will work with the 3G and not hit the housing?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't have an answer for you, but would a thinner spacer be in order?

Paul

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Don't have an answer for you, but would a thinner spacer be in order?

Paul

That would be a good solution but I'm not sure where to find one. Last time I did this I went to the junkyard and grabbed a different pulley and it worked fine. unfortunately, I have no recollection of what I got it from. I also want to be sure the nut will go on to the shaft completely.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I used the stock pulley/fan and spacer from a 78/79 stock bronc alternator, IIRC

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
my stock v belt pulley fit fine on the 3G, maybe you are putting it on backwards and that is causing clearance probs?

Its possible that I'm an idiot but I had to use another pulley when I did the 3G conversion on my other Bronco a while back. I know its not backwards. I notice that the pulley I have on my other 3G is a little bit larger than the stock pulley. Maybe I'll just get one of the cheapo chrome ones from Autozone. A 130 Amp Alternator with a little chrome "Bling" will probably put out 150 Amps!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, gotta have stickers!
Actually, most of the 3G rebuilds that I looked at the test-cards on were putting out a bit more than the 130 amps they were rated at already.
So the chrome and stickers are gonna' make that thing rock!

Paul

canrel

Loc.
Bakersfield Ca.
I did 3 conversions about two months ago, 2EB and a 63 galaxie. Used the stock pulley from the two EB and got another from a f100 for the galaxie ( galaxie had a generator on it). Had to lightly grind the 3g case on all three. The 3G page says you might need to do this. I think I used a file on the last one, Was at my friends helping him, No grinder.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I got that SOB on this morning! Had to grind down my shim a little bit but got it to work. I also managed to cross thread the shaft nut and had to find a replacement. Naturally, the stock alternator nut is too large. I finally found a spindle nut for a Mazda M1 or something that fit perfect. Got it mounted and wired in short order turned the key and got a nice "Click" checked the wires and the Battery cable was a little warm. I had dropped my Starter Solenoid while cleaning up the harness and apparently damaged it. Slapped in a spare and its all good. Now I have 14 volts at the battery at idle. Very nice. Now I have to put together my Headlight relay harness.