• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission Installation Problem

ftlbs

Loc.
Lehi, UT
I'm doing a complete frame-up build of a 1970/1973 Bronco. I'm reassembling the whole thing and for some reason I can't get my C6 Automatic to bolt back up to my 351W. I slid the input shaft into the opening on the torque converter, lined everything up so the transmission and engine are parallel, the line-up pins are in the holes, and I can seem to get it all the way on. I have a 1/4" to 1/2" gap between the engine and bell-housing and can't get it to go the rest of the way. I tried sucking it in using the bell housing bolts, and I ended up cracking the bell-housing. I took it in and had it welded, but now I'm back to having that 1/4" to 1/2" gap. Any advice or tips?

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Sounds like your torque converter isnt seated all the way in. Try spinning it and pushing on it and see if it seats down a little further.

OP
OP
ftlbs

ftlbs

Loc.
Lehi, UT
Spinning what? the torque converter? do I need to take the transmission off and spin it then try and reinstall it or just spin the crank??

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
It sounds like you are trying to put the trans up with the T/C still bolted to the flex plate, cant do it that way. If you tried to titen the bellhousing bolts you might have damaged your trans oil pump or T/C pull it back down and start from scratch.

OP
OP
ftlbs

ftlbs

Loc.
Lehi, UT
Okay. I do have the torque converter bolted up to the flexplate. I can remove the transmission pretty easily and try again. How do I know if i've damaged the pump or torque converter? (the torque converter looks fine as far as I can tell).

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Okay. I do have the torque converter bolted up to the flexplate. I can remove the transmission pretty easily and try again. How do I know if i've damaged the pump or torque converter? (the torque converter looks fine as far as I can tell).

Pull it all back down, take the T/C off the flexplate(careful- it's kinda heavy) look with a flashlight where your imput shaft comes out of the trans, the oil pump has two flat sides that seat to the T/C. make sure the flat sides are not damaged-in the trans and on the T/C, if its good then put it on the trans, you need to turn the t/c as your putting it on. You will feel it "drop back" three times, as your spinning it. to be sure measure the depth of the face of the t/c to the mounting face of the trans then the flexplate to the engine, you should be very close to exact-with a little for end play for the t/c

markperry

Bronco Guru

It clicks down about three times as you are spinning it...I only spun my torque converter on my 89 bronco to were it only clicked down twice and when I tightened it I broke one of the ears off the bell housing....you don't want that:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
If your engine previously was attached to a manual tranny it might still have the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft. It keeps the snout on the torque converter from fitting into the hole at the back of the crankshaft. If a pilot bearing is in there it will keep you about 1/2" away from bolting the engine to the tranny.

You'll need to remove it and then things should bolt up. Autozone has a removal tool or you can fill the area behind the pilot bearing with grease and then put a dowel or something the same diameter as the hole in the pilot bearing and whack it with a hammer. The grease has to go somewhere and it forces the bearing out.

OP
OP
ftlbs

ftlbs

Loc.
Lehi, UT
I GOT IT! I pulled the transmission back out and inspected the t/c and the oil pump. Nothing looked buggered, flattened, or damaged so I gently put the tranny back on (hung from my cherry picker), and I spun the crank shaft unitl the t/c lined up with the oil pump and it slid right together!!!

I have to be honest. I had no idea those flat sides on the torque converter had to line up with anything. Thanks so much for everyone's help! I'm sure I'll be back again with more questions.