• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spring Retainer Cup Bolt Sizes

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
I did a search and didn't see anything, but does anyone know what the size/thread for the two bolts in the cups and the bolt in the clip? I'm going into town early to find them in stainless (to match the super awesome stainless cups from WH) and may not have time to pull the old before leaving.
Thanks for any help-
BooRae

JIMS74

Loc.
PORTSMOUTH, VA.
I have both sizes my cage arms have 3/8"-16, and my stock c-caps have 7/16"-14 holes. I would stay away from stainless fasteners in this application and go with grade 8, or some kind of alloy stud, nut and washer combo like B.C.Broncos sells. 300 series stainless does not have near the shear strength of a grade 8 fastener, and those fasteners see some fairly heavy loads just in day to day driving for their size. check and see what you have by seeing what wrench fits 9/16 wrench for 3/8 bolt and 11/16 wrench for 7/16 bolt. I have the s/s lower cups also and wanted to with s/s fasteners but did not do it, that would a bad place to have the bolts break
Jim

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The lower bolts take a 5/8" wrench/socket.

On the upper clip, I used a 5/16" by about 1.5" to drop through the 3/8" threaded nut to help get things lined up. Trying to get the spring in place and line the two bolts up takes longer than anything else on this project. By using the smaller longer bolt, it can be applied with more angle to the bracket allowing the side bolt to line up and snug up. Once things are where you want them and almost tight, pull the smaller bolt/nut off and replace with the 3/8" and tighten everything down.

OP
OP
BooRae

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
Thanks Guys! Grade 8 it will be, as Jim brought up a great point that Stainless wouldn't be strong enough! I'm late getting into town, but haven't had a chance to get those bolts out.
Thanks again!

BooRae

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Instead of buying new bolts to put in there, get some studs instead. Install the studs into the two holes, and you'll never have to try and get the parts lined up just right again.
Joe

OP
OP
BooRae

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
Instead of buying new bolts to put in there, get some studs instead. Install the studs into the two holes, and you'll never have to try and get the parts lined up just right again.
Joe
Crap, that's a good idea! Wonder if I can find those local so I don't have to order and wait! How much easier that would be!
Thanks again for all the help! Can't wait to get this 3.5 inch WH lift installed and get the junk the PO put under there.
BooRae

canrel

Loc.
Bakersfield Ca.
If you can't find studs, just find a long bolt with enough threads to cut off the head and use it as a stud. Do it all the time.

OP
OP
BooRae

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
I found them at a local hardware store, now I just have to find time to work on it!
Thanks again to everyones help and suggestions!
BooRae