• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

daraspark II or pertronix kit?

joehein

i have a '71 with a 302 and points. didn't take me long to learn that points are upsetting so i'm searching for and upgrade. i have narrowed it down to 2 at this point, being th dura spark and the pertronix. i as wondering if i could get some feedback on the 2 from people with them installed. pros/cons and that sorta thing would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
joe

70_Steve

Old Guy
I have not run the pertronix, but I've run the Duraspark in my 351 for about 5 years with no issues. I do carry a spare module, actually have it mounted in the engine compartment, but have never needed it. I swap between the two occasionally, just to make sure the spare works. I also use a stock Ford Duraspark coil.

I don't know all the technical specs, like spark voltage, etc. but my engine runs very well. I like knowing that I can go to any auto parts store and get parts.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
pertronix is very reliable and easy to install as it's basically just a drop in. con is it's not as readily off the shelf if something goes out.

duraspark is available off the shelf if something goes wrong, but it's not as simple as the pertronix system. duraspark also doesn't like having the key left on, as it'll burn up the module.

personally, i like pertronix.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I went from points on my '74 to duraspark II from a '76. I just installed two Pertronix kits on my buddy's corvette and Bronco. Both eliminated a few wires and were much simpler. There are also a few guys that have had the pertronix kits in their vehicles for over ten years. The replacement parts is what I would worry about but really, all you need to do is have a point for your distributor and you could make it back home after a fail.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I have run the duraspark on a few Bronco's and have had a few problems over the years. I bet I have replaced 2-3 units on different trucks for various reasons. That being said if you keep a spare you can not go wrong.

That being said I have also run Pertronix on one of my trucks as well as my GT350. My dad has converted all his over to Pertronix as well and I have never had a module go bad. May be blind luck but they are damn simple and work great.

Both are pretty easy to install once you know how. The down side on the Duraspark is you have a module to put somewhere safe from heat. On my GT350 I wanted the engine compartment mostly stock so the Pertronix rules there with no big module to store somewhere.

I have nothing against the Duraspark based on my experience, that being said I would run Pertronix if I was in your shoes.
Dennis

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I've only run the duraspark I converted my 73 about 12 years ago with donor parts from a 76 car that appeared to be factory parts and havent had the module fail yet. The donor setup only cost me $20 at the junkyard.
Modules are the main part that fails. There is slightly more wiring for the duraspark setup. But as was said parts are availible everywhere.

I've considered the pertronix setup in the past I like the idea of being able to swap back to points when it fails. From what I researched they seem to fail about as much as any other setup does so I'd say they are fairly relieable.
I doubt I'll ever go to a pertronix though as I picked up a MSD ready to run dist that I'll probalby put in my 71.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
If all you want is to do away with points, Petronics module only and carry a spare set of points. Higher energy ignition, I'd go with the Duraspark. From my VW day's, the Petronics doesn't like leaving the key on either. May be diff with the whole system, I don't know.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
about 8-9 yrs ago replaced my points and condensor with a Pertronix that went bad after a few months. replaced it with a complete Duraspark ignition that came out of a pick-n-pull vehicle. never had a problem with the Duraspark, very reliable and replacement parts readily available. finally converted to EFI about 3 yrs ago. my Pertronix was probably a dud but would not recommend another.

nrramse

I've been using a Pertronix for about 10 years. It finally died last year, and I bought another one without hesitation. The only thing is that mine didn't die catastrophically, but would only fail for a few minutes at a time - not long enough for me to easily diagnose the problem. Once I figured it out, I put back in my spare set of points until the new module came.

I also bought the Pertronix coil and bypassed the ballast resister, which allowed me to extend the gap of my spark plugs to the same as the Duraspark system, so I think the performance is as good.

Newell

markperry

Bronco Guru
I had a pertronix unit on my 67 Mustang for a few years then switched over to a HEI unit. Pertronix is fine HEI is better.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was going to mention that as well. Anybody priced one yet? Seen them advertised by the manufacturer only, so far, but have not seen any retailer giving out prices.

Ditto on the reliability of either. I've had Ignitors fail and also Duraspark modules. Both the Duraspark modules were the cheap twenty dollar kind and failed within days. Bought a high-dollar replacement and never had another failure.
Funny about that too, I seem to remember that most of the factory Ford modules scrounged from the junkyard are still kicking, while most of the Duraspark problems seem to occur with the store-bought versions.
Can you say "lowest bidder"?

Ignitors are not immune to heat either, but seem to last just fine in the Bronco environment. They're more susceptible to surges caused by someone testing for sparks with a lose plug wire (ask me how I know!) but are just fine most of the time.

So I don't have a recommendation for you. I like either/or/both.

Paul

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
If you're not building a hot rod, I'd stick with OEM parts. They are tried and true.... And as mentioned, spare parts are available at every small town parts store and junkyard if you need them.

I tried petronix on my old VW about 10 years ago. After two units didn't fit right, I gave up and went with a different manufacturer.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I put Pertronix in my 7- stang in the mid 1990s, then after I killed that motor, I switched it to the 302 in my EB. I killed that motor too, but the pertronix is still workin flawlessly. I have no experience with the duraspark though.
I do like that if the pertronix ever fails, I just pull the set of points out of the glovebox, install 'em, and go home.

patr1ck

Loc.
Tempe, AZ
Ive had Pertronix for 6 years no problems. Its simple, you cant tell by looking at the dist that it is actually electronic ignition, it looks stock, very clean. Also, like others have said, you can keep a set of points in the glove box for an emergency, I do. Im not sure about the Duraspark but the Pertronix will work with the stock coil and ballast resistor circuitry.

Pat