• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3g case conversion, 90 to side mount?

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
I bought a 3g with a 90 mount. I then decided to go with the explorer serp kit which has a side mount. Can I take the front of the cases and swap them leaving the back of each case with the original 3G?

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't really know. Probably yes, since many alt cases interchange, but don't know for sure and that's just an odd enough mounting to maybe have gotten a new rear as well.
I'm sure someone will know though. Give it a little more time in case they're gone for the weekend.

Presumably then, you can't return the one you already bought?
If not, then how are you planning to get the front half of a new one anyway, without actually buying a new one? If that's the case, then you could just use the new one whole.
Unless you're thinking of finding a super deal on a unit that's maybe not working well, just for the case? That would make sense I guess.
Is your current one new or used?

Maybe you can sell the existing one, get a 4, 5, or 6G (whatever they are) from an Exploder and be done with it for less hassle.

Good luck either way.

Paul

OP
OP
RedLeg0811

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
What is currently on the Explorer? Isn't it a 3G?

The reason is I bought a new 90 mount 3g and then decided to get the explore setup. which has an alt already, but has 120k on it. The Napa's around me don't take back unused electrical parts.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
What is currently on the Explorer? Isn't it a 3G?

The reason is I bought a new 90 mount 3g and then decided to get the explore setup. which has an alt already, but has 120k on it. The Napa's around me don't take back unused electrical parts.

Go to another one and just tell them you bought the wrong one...
Worth a shot.
Or did you do that and they say no go?

OP
OP
RedLeg0811

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
I haven,t done hat yet. I actually found out by looking on the different bodies that the one that came with the Explore is a 4G.

Anybody know if the 4G are any good? I read one place that said upgade from a 4G to a 3G or a 6G, but the didn't say why.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I haven,t done hat yet. I actually found out by looking on the different bodies that the one that came with the Explore is a 4G.

Anybody know if the 4G are any good? I read one place that said upgade from a 4G to a 3G or a 6G, but the didn't say why.

I've never heard anything bad about the explorer alt, its a 130A and internally regulated, just like the 3G. And its not like you have much of a choice what you run on an expl serp setup due to its odd way of bolting up.....

And dont forget, you are going to have to run an electric fuel pump now, as the explorer front dress has no provisions for the mechanical pump.

OP
OP
RedLeg0811

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
Yeah I knew about the electric pump. I was reading some posts and I think the one someone said worked well was a carter 4070 (Ithink that is the number. It had 6 psi and 72 or 76 gph flow.