• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

msd 6al

sandguy356

Loc.
Holland, MI
OK, so the bronco quit on the way home saturday night, maiden voyage on the street mind you, and I can't get it to restart. Carb seems to be functioning fine, but it appears I have not spark.
I'm running an msd 6al with msd dizzy and coil. My question is, is there supposed to be 12v at the coil when the ign switch is on? I checked, and the 6al is getting 12v to the box at least.
Any helps??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No 12V at the coil. The MSD slams 500+V into the coil when it is time to fire.
The big red and black wires should have power from the battery
Little red(?) wire should have switched 12V from the ignition switch
Purple and orange wires should have a small AC voltage signal as the engine cranks over
Don't try to probe for power for the 2 wires going to the coil, it will probably blow your meter.

nmgearguy

Same thing happened to me. Twice! Check the magnetic pickup with an ohm meter. Values should be between 400 and 1,300 ohms. I now carry a spare. Good luck with yours....

OP
OP
S

sandguy356

Loc.
Holland, MI
Update!!
Finally got around to checking everything out.
Good-MSD, coil are fine, sparks when it should
Bad-found 3 teeth missing off the dist. gear, some PO put a cast gear on and tried to run it with a hyd. roller cam.
Sooo, I'm hoping to find the missing teeth in the oil filter, if not, well, I don't want to think about it. Guess I'll be buying a steel or bronze gear on monday!