• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 efi computer

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
I am still trying to figure out how to work this site properly. I put this question in the chat section by mistake so now i hope i put it in the right place. Anyways, Does it make a difference if I use a computer from and automatic mustang and use it in my stick shift bronco? I checked fordfuelinjection.com and did not seem to find an answer. Im stripping out a 91 mustang for all of the items and its an auto. Thanks.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Not enough to notice. If it was an AODE or other electronic automatic, the auto EEC will set codes for the missing trans, but it shouldn't turn on the CEL for them. If it was an AOD or other mechanical automatic, it won't even set codes because it won't know that the trans is missing.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Tranny does not make a difference run any combination of computer and tranny you want.

The only thing you need to do is make sure the computer is wired correctly.
Computers come in 2 flavors ( auto & manual) pin # 30 will need need to wired to match the computer.

auto computer pin #30 goes to a start signal
manual computer pin #30 gets wire to pin 46 signal return

The stock Ford wire harness accomplishes this by using 2 different O2 harness, basically they have a jumper wire in them.

When I wire a bronco I pull the wires going to the O2 harness and add a 3 position weather pack connector and make 2 plugs one for a manual computer and one for an auto computer.\

Terkish

When you say "auto computer pin #30 goes to a start signal" is that 12v in key start position and dead 0v the rest of the time?
I was going to hook pin 30 to the starter solinoid on the start only side is that good?
I'm at this point in my wiring for my EFI.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
When you say "auto computer pin #30 goes to a start signal" is that 12v in key start position and dead 0v the rest of the time?
I was going to hook pin 30 to the starter solinoid on the start only side is that good?
I'm at this point in my wiring for my EFI.

DO NOT RUN YOUR COMPUTER TO START SIGNAL ON PIN 30. THe ECU should see ground when in nuetral on an auto computer. If it gets 12V you screw up the ECU. BTDT. See the wiring schematics at FFI for confirmation.
Tom

Terkish

so if i have a manual trans in my EB should i just ground pin 30 or just leaveing hooked to nothing?

Terkish

my computer is a A9P out of a 90 stang. I was told it would work just needs to be wired right.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
It doesn't matter what trans you have in the EB. Its what trans was in the donor. If the stang had an Automatic, then pin 30 should get a ground signal when in nuetral ( or just ground it all the time.

If you had a manual trans in the mustang, then pin 30 should go to sig rtn when in nuetral
( at the end of the day, if you don't hook up pin 30 to anything the only real impact is that you won't be able to get the engine running codes)
Tom

ransil

Bronco Guru
It doesn't matter what trans you have in the EB. Its what trans was in the donor. If the stang had an Automatic, then pin 30 should get a ground signal when in nuetral ( or just ground it all the time.

If you had a manual trans in the mustang, then pin 30 should go to sig rtn when in nuetral
( at the end of the day, if you don't hook up pin 30 to anything the only real impact is that you won't be able to get the engine running codes)
Tom

at the end of the day if you do not hook up pin 30 you will be chasing a hunting idle and not be able to pull codes.

ransil

Bronco Guru
DO NOT RUN YOUR COMPUTER TO START SIGNAL ON PIN 30. THe ECU should see ground when in nuetral on an auto computer. If it gets 12V you screw up the ECU. BTDT. See the wiring schematics at FFI for confirmation.
Tom

got a link to this schematic??

Terkish

at the end of the day if you do not hook up pin 30 you will be chasing a hunting idle and not be able to pull codes.

that is why i'm asking where to hook it up to. everyone seems to have a different answer. and i really do not want to fry my computer to find out.

TJGuidry

Loc.
Parks, Louisiana
I've got a 90 EFI motor out of the mustang GT.The car had a manual tranny. I am using a C4 tranny on my bronco. I'm also using a RJM Harness and I'm having no problems.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA

I've run both manual and auto computers in mine. With the auto, i fried the first one trying to hook it to the start circuit. After talking with Ryan I hooked it to ground and it was fine. At one point I even had it hooked to a nuetral safety switch and it would up the idle slightly when in gear.

I haven't had a hunting idle problem that I could trace to the NSS unhooked. In any case, you can still pull the engine off codes with the NSS unhooked. That's where you get the code 67.
Tom