• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brakes... What do I need?

usmcsmith

Loc.
Newark
I have the regular brakes and I want to do a disc/drum set up with power brakes. I have been on Wildhorses, Bronco Graveyard, and Toms Bronco Parts.

Can someone point me in the best direction to what setups I will need and potentially be the best deal cost-wise.

...Is the regular power set up good enough for daily street driving or will I need hydro boost?

Toms has the full disc/disc Power kit but its $1700 I think that is a bit high

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What front axle do you have? If it is a Dana 30 then the only option is the GM based disk brake conversion. If you have a Dana 44 then you have more options in regards to replacing knuckles and dealing with steering linkage changes as well.

As for the power brakes, look at the hydroboost options. You need power steering for the swap to work, but they do work so well.

OP
OP
U

usmcsmith

Loc.
Newark
I have power steering and a dana 44 axle
sorry should have specified... now what do you recommend?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Just installed the WH kit on my brother-in-laws 69 and it went on real easy. Good complete kit but he did not opt for power assist. A vacuum booster will work just fine and is a bit easier to install. But if your up for it, go with hydroboost since you already have power steering.

OP
OP
U

usmcsmith

Loc.
Newark
Just installed the WH kit on my brother-in-laws 69 and it went on real easy. Good complete kit but he did not opt for power assist. A vacuum booster will work just fine and is a bit easier to install. But if your up for it, go with hydroboost since you already have power steering.

The WH disc conversion??? Its $699 with the proportioning valve and wheel bearings.... is that the kit you got?

Maybe I will buy that and see how comfortable I am with the brakes then if I still need more buy the booster....I wonder if the regular power booster is good enough or if I really do need to drop more $$$ for the hydro boost

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
The WH disc conversion??? Its $699 with the proportioning valve and wheel bearings.... is that the kit you got?

Maybe I will buy that and see how comfortable I am with the brakes then if I still need more buy the booster....I wonder if the regular power booster is good enough or if I really do need to drop more $$$ for the hydro boost

Yes, that's the kit he bought. Based on the Dana chevy setup and you'll have to grind the knuckles just a bit. His brakes great without any boost. Like you said, try it without boost and see if it's OK. How big are your tires?

roccolukasik

Loc.
Ohio Michigan border
I did the big bronco swap found a front axle from a 79 for $100.00 spent another $150.00 give or take to get new pads, calipers, bearings,rotors turned, lines and sleeves to make the steering linkage work.It took about 3 hours to install,that is after cleaning and painting what I wanted to.

OP
OP
U

usmcsmith

Loc.
Newark
I did the big bronco swap found a front axle from a 79 for $100.00 spent another $150.00 give or take to get new pads, calipers, bearings,rotors turned, lines and sleeves to make the steering linkage work.It took about 3 hours to install,that is after cleaning and painting what I wanted to.

1st... Scoop they are 36s

You only spent like 250-300 that is CRAZY where did you go a junk yard? I know from some friends that the WH bolt on kit is fairly painless. But if I could save $300-$400 I would obviously rather do that... how hard is it to do that swap you did?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
This is all from memory but it'll be close ...Spindles from 1973 and 1974 1/2 chevy truck or blazer 4x4 of course ....Spindles are the hardest item to find i got some of mine off E-bay for about $40.00 ea.Backing plates about 25.00 ea 2 kinds one is solid circle later is just a bracket to hold the calipers ..
Calipers buy new one 18-4074 &75 l&r 25.00 ea disk pads D52 cheap one are good enough 10.00 ...Rotors and hub ass. #5492..1980 up ford 1/2 and Bronco ..I only gave 25.00 ea..for my rotor & hubs but I've seem them as high as 140.00 ea now from Raybestos .. Bearing are A35 & A37 seal is 4250 or maybe 4250S..and inner spindle bearing kit is SBK1 get it from NAPA their kit has 4 parts in it but others usually have 3 pieces in the box. Reused your locking hub..Brake lines on both side is for the 1974 blazer.. I used a stock MC for my 1972 Bronco ..I'd go Hydro boost if your not satified with my brakes ...
......If your a good scrounger then get after it I had about $400.00 in mine after gathering up what seemed like forever..It would be easier to get a kit from Chuck or one of the others ..But that's not my way..
....I kind of feel it would be cheaper to just get a set up off a ford 1/2 truck But I DON'T LIKE THE FORD CALIPERS ...but they will work and have for years ...
...I hope that helps you some ..

OP
OP
U

usmcsmith

Loc.
Newark
ok i think this is solved if i can get a dana 44 front end in the next 2 or 3 days if not I will order a kit

roccolukasik

Loc.
Ohio Michigan border
The hardest part was pulling everything apart,there is a tech article on here that is pretty descriptive,basically from the calipers out is what you need,if plan on running it hard then you can also use the shafts the short side will need to be cut down a little, the long side will need cut down and resplined by a machine shop around 50 bucks but that gives you heavier duty shafts and u joints.It was a lot easier than I thought and I am by no means a skilled mechanic! I am learning and this site is a tremendous help!

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
36's ??, why waste the $$$ on a vacuum booster .... go with a hydro unit. You'll be happier in the long run.

ruckindaddy

Loc.
San Diego
I have to agree with Scoop, I would just do the conversion first and then see if you want power or boost. I just converted to discs up front, I found an axle with discs already installed and swapped the whole axle ($300), it took a while to find one. You can tell a big difference just with the discs. You can always do power or hydro later, but when you do I think the hydro is worth the money.

Brandon

OP
OP
U

usmcsmith

Loc.
Newark
yeah i got some info on power its a waste of $$$ I didn't know the difference but I have Hydro in my Hummer so thats the way to go... IF I go there with the Bronco