• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP w. clutch adjustment ???

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
I fired my EB up to let her run for a lil, but when I pushed the clutch to the floor and put her in gear she started barking at me !!! Something she never done before !!!
This squeak /rattling noise coming from the bellhousing ... :mad:

S@$#%!% B@%*$ .... I replaced the clutch 2 months ago ( less then 50 miles ago ) with new pilot and throwout bearing.
Standard 3 finger pressure plate 302 clutch form Discount Auto !!!!
The only thing i can think of is that the adjustment to the clutch Is off ???

How do you do that proper ???

I have the first Nut on the Clutch Adjusting Rod snug (hand tightened) against the Clutch fork (so there is no play ) !!

How many add turns do you turn the first Nut before you tighten the 2nd to the first ??

see pic : ...

Attachments

• x13479.jpg
    x13479.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 53
  • x13483.jpg
    x13483.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
On your clutch rod, there are three things that move on the threads - the two nuts and the pointed end. Adjusting the pointed end so the rod's overall length is greater will cause the clutch to engage when the pedal is closer to the dash. A shorter overall rod length will cause the clutch to engage when the pedal is closer to the floor. It sounds like you need to shorten the rod.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
It depends on how you want your clutch to engage. Some like it to start engaging a couple inches off the floor others like it not to engage until it is half way up. I have always employed the trial and error method of adjustment. I tighten the 1's nut until I get some resistance on the clutch fork and then start the truck, put it in gear and see where the pedal is. Add more turns or less turns until I get the pedal I want. All pressure plates feel different so I do not know of a set number of turns to start the adjustment process.

OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
hello ... thanks for the reply
The pointed end just sits on the Clutch Adjusting Rod and the first nut holds it in place / position.

I did adjust it to where in like it (to start engaging a couple inches off the floor) !!!

I was just wondering if there is a turn number to get to half way and from there you adjust it to each individual preference in clutchfeel, with a Max up and down turn number in each direction so it wont make the noise I have now !?!?!?!?