• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with gas...

Justspyin

Well, the other day i was taking the leaf springs off my truck to replace the bushings, and boy did it need it.... but the shackles were on backwards, the idiot before me put them on wrong, and it was a rough ride..well when taking off and reinstalling the driver side leaf spring we noticed the shackle was rubbing the filler neck hose, not the actual metal pieces but the rubber hose, im wondering if anyone else has this problem and what they did to fix it.

Thanks

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
Justspyin but the shackles were on backwards
maybe thats why they were on backwards.
what year bronco?
see if it is a stock filler hose
check to make sure your springs are not flattened
pics would help alot.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yeah, I've seen them hit the rubber before, but not often. And mine are well away from any contact with the rubber of either the fill or the vent hoses.
How are your body bushings? If they're compressing then perhaps the body is pushing down on the hoses and closing the gap some? That's a common issue that, I'm guessing, would not help with the clearance issue.

Stock shackles? Were the bushings in the shackles toast as well? Without the support of good bushings maybe they were pushing up too much?

What position are your shackles in? At ride height, mine sit pretty much vertical and still have about an inch-and-a-half clearance to the large fill hose. Even though, with the open end of the shackle facing the rear, they look like they're "curved" towards the hose, there's still plenty of clearance for full droop.
It's closer to the smaller vent hose, but still would not touch it under normal circumstances.
Now if the body was compressed...

Paul

OP
OP
J

Justspyin

the shackles were on backwards, but they still hit the fuel line, just an idiot that installed the suspenssion lift put it on backwards. i dont believe they are the stock shackles, the bushings were beyond trashed, and the body mounts on the driver side are crushed, in t he process of replacing those as we speak, but i dont think it will lift it enough to clear the hose, i guess ill find out when i get the new body mounts on and get it down again, i guess ill keep you updated..