• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine on Stand, what would you do?

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
We have pulled a running 302 from one EB and are preparing to transplant it into our project. We do not intend to do a complete rebuild, but I'm sure there are some preventative maintenance to spend time on while it is sitting on the stand.

Opinions? Source for tools?

Thanks for your input.

Here is a video of it running so you can see what it sounded like in the donor vehicle:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/amc78cj7/?action=view&current=January2009Pictures018.flv

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/amc78cj7/?action=view&current=December2008Pictures479.flv

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I would at the very least put a new seal and gasket set on it. If the motor has high miles I would also replace the oil pump. Clean it up good and spray some paint on it.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Sounds like noisy lifters, I'd check the valve adjustment first. A timing chain might not hurt if the milage is unknown, and while that's apart I'd pull the oil pan and check the bottom end at least, and maybe do an oil pump like mentioned. Shouldn't cost you very much, but you'll have a better understanding of what you have.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Did it use any oil before hand? how about leaks? I would do a compression check to see if the cylinders are good before doing anything. Then as was said consider doing the top end those lifters sound pretty noisey. Stock 302's dont have a adjustable valve train. So theres not much you can do there except replace parts and make sure the rocker studs havent pulled out of the head.
Do you know the mileage on the engine? If close to or over 100,000 I would replace the timing chain, check the rod and main bearing clearance and probably replace them along with a new oil pump. It would also be a good time to replace the cam and lifters and quite possibly have the heads reworked or put some replacements on it. Yeah your just short of a whole rebuild but you will have a pretty good engine after that.

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
302's have positive stop rockers on them. there are no adjustments, just a torque setting. There should be lash caps on the tops of valve stems(either exhaust or intake, one or the other, a little rusty on the subject%) ) which wear out and need replacing. CHeck where the rocker arms ride on the valve tips for wear.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
its a domino thing. Do one thing and several follow. Half ass /or hole hog..The line gets blurry sometimes.;)

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
save yourself the headaches and just buy a reman motor and move over parts. After everything that I found in mine, It is going to be about the same to just buy a reman and move over my intake and carb. Was quoted $1199 for a 302 longblock from O'Reilys.

SeaninSt.Cloud

everything you can replace without tearing the heads off or the block apart-easier to replace it now when it has easy access than when it is back in the truck-you could do most of it for about $250-I did the same to mine-new plugs wires rotor cap timing chain gaskets oil pump water pump vacuum lines rear seal and oil pan gasket thermostat, carb gaskets etc... Probably forgetting a few things-I have not had to replace any of them since-so far;D

markperry

Bronco Guru
save yourself the headaches and just buy a reman motor and move over parts. After everything that I found in mine, It is going to be about the same to just buy a reman and move over my intake and carb. Was quoted $1199 for a 302 longblock from O'Reilys.

I just got a manufactured 351 from gearhead.com for 684.00:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Amac70

ME
if it runs and sounds fine run it till it dies. 302 are cheap and plentyfull and cheap to replace and rebuild. And hell there super simple to pull in a bronco. To me throwing new parts at an old motor is pointless.

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
if it runs and sounds fine run it till it dies. 302 are cheap and plentyfull and cheap to replace and rebuild. And hell there super simple to pull in a bronco. To me throwing new parts at an old motor is pointless.
I agree completely. Just get rid of the rocker ticking!;D

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Good job with the kid!

Kids love that stuff. He'll remember that kind of stuff forever.;)

Last edited by a moderator: