• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'77 Disc Brake 44 Install

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the front axle, along with the drag link (inverted Y) for a '77 Dana 44 disc brake axle conversion. I am going to use a steering box that I had redone with a Quik Steer kit from West Texas Offroad. My question is what else will I need to bolt this baby up? How will I know if I need a '76-'77 piman arm? I appreciate any info you would like to share!

neonizagas

Loc.
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not sure but you might need the '76-'77 pitman arm so it will fit the tapper at end of the drag link. And the pitman arm may be slightly twisted because of the weird angle of the drag link.
Has your steering linkage been disassembled! I could use a picture of the adjusting sleeve and the bracket that bolts on to the front! I can't remember how it goes back together.?:?

Gerry

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just got it today. I will take it out of the box and take some pics when I get back home tomorrow. Feel free to send me an email and let me know exactly what it is you would like to see.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
How will I know if I need a '76-'77 piman arm?

'76-'77 pitman arm is specific to the inverted Y setup. It has nothing to do with the steering box connection. All EB steering boxes, both manual and power from all years used the same spline pitman arms. The taper on the drag link hole is smaller on the '76-'77 and the end is more twisted. If you are still using the inverted Y steering, you should be using a '76-'77 pitman.