• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C bushings install question

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
have to remove the coils, period. can't take the caps off the arms without removing the lower coil cups, there's 2 bolts that go into the arms. 1 bolt goes into the arm, 1 bolt goes into the cap.

when you go back together, get some studs for the coil cups, will make it a lot easier to line things up.

jbregar

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
I had my coils on while I put in the axles (which is basically what you're doing with a C-bushing replacement). I'm not sure why people DON'T do it that way since it seems to automatically correct for the misalignment that causes "Bronco Lean".

If you want to take the front cap off but leave the coils there, you can... you just remove the front bolt from the coil cup and then four bolts from the cap. Then the front axle is loose and you can replace the bushings. Obviously jack the car up and support both the frame (and the rest of the bronco) and the axle when you're doing this.

When I installed my axle (did a full frame-off), I put the radius arms in (left the bolts a bit loose), hooked in the coil springs, and THEN installed the axle into the C-bushings/Radius Arms. Worked like a charm and seemed much easier than the alternative. Once the axle was in and the four cap bolts were secured, I just dropped the front coil cup bolt in and torqued everything to spec.

OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
Ty guys, ooffa sounds like a weekender....I was thinking I would bang this out like when I replaced my steering linkage, 3 hoursish......still I'm excited to tackle....

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I just did this last night on my 68. I highly recommend using studs as suggested by 73stallion, most of my swearing was due to trying to line up the spring cup holes :(