• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

smoke from one side of exhaust

1970mule

Bronco Guru
so when i start up the truck, i only get some smoke from my passenger side exhaust. it is not alot but i seem to get none from drivers side. what is the deal? what could that be?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
what color smoke? black? blue? white? only at start up, or will it do it if you coast down a hill and get back on the gas?

Jonboy69

Do you have a true dual exhaust that is totally seperate from one another ? or does it go to one and then out to two at some point / If so, the routing on the passanger may be more straight and less restrictive so the smoke travels out on that side. Color of smoke can teel a lot too !

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
the smoke is grayish black, not too much and not that dark. and it is only on startup. also i do have a true duel exhaust.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bluish/white is oil..greyish/black is fuel. Running a carb?..which one?

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
i have a holley TA, but why just one side on a duel setup. could it be plugs or a seal or something?

nrramse

Valve seals probably

That's my bet too.

It would be a good idea to check the compression all around, then squirt some oil down the spark plug holes and check the compression again. If it goes up, then the rings are bad. If it doesn't then its probably time for a valve job. Or both!

Newell

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pull the plugs and see if one is oily.

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
I pulled the plugs today and the plugs are oily, some more than others. like the one plug was pretty oily and 3 was not the driverside are not that bad. so what does that mean. is it really bad kinda bad?

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
ahhhhhhhhh, cool i thought i would have to take engine apart. do i need any speciality tools?

nrramse

I think you would be better off to have the heads rebuilt by a decent machine shop. They will install new valve guides, seals, check the springs, and regrind the seats.

Not to sound cocky, but you would do well to do a compression check like I mentioned before. If you have bad rings, then its time to have the whole motor rebuilt.

Newell

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
I think you would be better off to have the heads rebuilt by a decent machine shop. They will install new valve guides, seals, check the springs, and regrind the seats.

Not to sound cocky, but you would do well to do a compression check like I mentioned before. If you have bad rings, then its time to have the whole motor rebuilt.

Newell

well, i know i hear ya, but my thing is it is a newly rebuilt motor with only about 1500 miles on it, so what could make the rings go bad that fast? i will do the test so i know.

nrramse

well, i know i hear ya, but my thing is it is a newly rebuilt motor with only about 1500 miles on it, so what could make the rings go bad that fast? i will do the test so i know.

That could be it too - that because the motor is newly rebuilt that the rings haven't seated yet. It might be a good idea to chat with the engine builder and find out how miles it takes to expect the rings to seat. There's probably a break-in procedure too. Or, if there's something wrong, it might be covered by warranty.

Newell