• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

paging viperwolf1...viperwolf1 your wanted at the front desk..:( i got problems...

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
so...i hooked everything back up onto the 351w. for the ignition i just plugged in the distributer and checked my conections....
and tryed to fire it up...it had a hard time turning over and no spark... and the lights where really dim....well i forgot to hook up the ground wire from the batt to the motor.
so hook that up and everything works grate but still no spark.???

I had a blown fuse from the hot wire to my box, so replaced it and tryed to crank it and it popped again...so double check everything and try again...it would turn over but when i stop turning it over it will pop again....well after fighting a fuel problem for almost 2 hours i got it to fire up...it would run for maybe 5-7 seconds then the fuse would pop again???? went through 12 fues's 15's and 20's

i checked out my box and the main ground wire is melted...but its not hot???

i don't get it, everything worked perfectly with the 302...but put the 351 in and i have alllllll cinds of grief!

oh and my exhaust wont bolt up to the 351 ether! :mad:

and my transmission is not working as well...i put it in gear and it feels like it go's into gear but i hit the gas and nothing...??????????

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well I'm not viperwolf but I'll give you some feedback anyways.
What circuit is poping the fuse? you need to check that circuit sounds like its grounding out on you. maybe it was damaged during the engine swap. Check all the wires near that melted ground wire very carefully it may have melted together and is grounding out that way.
If its a stock exhuast for a 302 then yes you wont be able to bolt it up the 351 is wider than a 302. You'll have to do some modifing or grab the exhuast that was bolted to the 351.
Sounds like your torque converter is not enguaging the pump or it wasnt enguaged and you pushed the pump in and now its toast. Did the tranny slide onto the engine easily or did you use bolts to get it to mate up the last little bit.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
well its a Jacob electronics ignition box. (ANYONE HAVE THERE NUMBER?) ill check out the wires tomorrow..

no it didn't, this hole motor swap has been a nightmare.

i had to take the trans out to get it in. after that it went in okay...makbe my converter backed out of the pump???

but its bolted up to the flywheel...?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What ignition system is it? Sounds like a good short to ground if it's blowing 20 amp fuses.

Make sure your tcase is in gear. I've made that mistake myself before.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
It may be bolted to the flywheel but if the tabs are not enguaged into the pump and you had to use the bellhousing bolts to pull the tranny in it may have damaged the pump. or it may just not be enguaged so its not pumping fluid If you lucky nothings damaged.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
the older, Jacobs pro street ignition.

i think it is,,i got my sticks pulled back as far as they will go...

and my converter did fall out come to think of it..i pushed it back in but i don't think i spun it in.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
well its a Jacob electronics ignition box. (ANYONE HAVE THERE NUMBER?) ill check out the wires tomorrow..

no it didn't, this hole motor swap has been a nightmare.

i had to take the trans out to get it in. after that it went in okay...makbe my converter backed out of the pump???

but its bolted up to the flywheel...?

Might want to refer to the wiring diagram and make sure it's hooked up correctly. Here are Jacobs instructions. http://www.accel-ignition.com/InstructionSheetsList.aspx?b2=j

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Did you remember that the firing order is different between the 351 and 302?

old number 8

Loc.
NOT Seattle
If the main ground to your box is melted, it probably happened when you cranked it with your engine ground off. It became the best ground at the time, but couldn't handle the current

If you didn't rotate the converter to re-seat it, your pump and/or converter are damaged. If they aren't, go buy a lottery ticket, it's your lucky day.

Sorry

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
If the main ground to your box is melted, it probably happened when you cranked it with your engine ground off. It became the best ground at the time, but couldn't handle the current

If you didn't rotate the converter to re-seat it, your pump and/or converter are damaged. If they aren't, go buy a lottery ticket, it's your lucky day.

Sorry

thats what i figured happened..im not sure if my box is toast or just the wires..

its a new pump and converter, i really doubt there hurt at all. this happened to my brothers mustang (c4) and it worked from there on....tho, come to think of it when i was cranking it over i noticed a new noise?

ill call my tranny guy and chat with him about it. but i know thats my problem with the tranny.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
New pump and converter will make no differance at all if you pushed it in and damaged it.They are just as easy to damage as a old one. The only differance is you will feel worse about it because it was new.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
push what in?
the tranny??
i didnt, it went in.... okay. i didnt half to force it in with the bolts, just used the bolts to guide it all in place.