• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP 435 Shifter lube and boot

nrramse

I bought a used NP435 that I'm rebuilding, but I'm confused about the shifter. It seems like there should be a rubber boot that goes on top of the retainer cap (but under the shifter boot) to seal out the dirt and water. Am I right? If so, can someone point me to a source? Or a home remedy?

Also, my paperwork says the shifter should be lubricated with "lubriplate". What is that? I've got engine assembly lube on there right now.

Thanks, Newell

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
No Problem Luberplate is just a white grease ..or a any lube NP435 don't worry about it and your NP435 most likely doesn't need a rebuilding their bullet proof .. So check the bearings and add gaskets and move on.. Fix it after the fact.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I used assembly lube on mine and it seemed to do the trick. With how the cover plate is made, I think it gets enough crankcase lube that it's not a big deal.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
There was a thick foam pad installed in some trucks between the shifter tower & the floorpan, just to keep splash out of the shifter, but never a "seal". The shifter is the vent, so it has to breathe. I also use it as a fill port - much easier than the one in the side.

The best grease to put on the shifter would be

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Never say never.
There was a boot that went over the shifter although it may not have been installed in all years but I've seen a few as well as the square foam seal but they are usually in very poor condtion. Its listed in my ford repair manuals as well. I'm not sure if any venders sell the boot though. As I've looked for new ones in the past. I have one off a different application but I have yet to install it to see if it fits.

OP
OP
N

nrramse

Thanks guys - I got a lot of good ideas from this. I'm going to go to the salvage yard and look for either a pad or a small boot (or maybe both).

Newell

rekoj71

I got a new boot from napa when I installed mine but that was 10+ years ago

OP
OP
N

nrramse

No Problem Luberplate is just a white grease ..or a any lube NP435 don't worry about it and your NP435 most likely doesn't need a rebuilding their bullet proof .. So check the bearings and add gaskets and move on.. Fix it after the fact.

This one I bought had been sitting in the dirt for a while, and was jammed. When I took the top off, one of the gears was engaged and the other was not quite in neutral, which caused the shifter to lock in place. I slid both gears and both shift rails back to neutral and it unjammed. I'm not sure how that could've happened because I didn't find anything wrong with the shift tower when I rebuilt it (though its my first time working on a 435 and my second time working on any tranny). I hope the master rebuild kit, and a good cleaning, puts it right.

Newell

rekoj71

I got mine out of a late 70's 4wd f350 but that search on napa didn't net any help either. (ya I had to rebuid with the right output shaft) They might have better luck in the store. I purchased a whole shifter kit at the time to include the retainer plates and spring and the boot just came in the kit, with it, but remember these were a little more plentifull back then.

OP
OP
N

nrramse

I found a boot today at the salvage yard, and its in great shape! It came from a 66 F100, but I don't think that was the original transmission because the shifter hit the dash in 1st gear.

The boot has some numbers on the bottom, but my googling hasn't located any information. The numbers are "92919 BAB 18" and "TYBJ 7220-D".

I'll try to get a picture up later.

Newell

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nrramse

DSC00519_small.jpg

DSC00520_small.jpg

OP
OP
N

nrramse

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys - I got a lot of good ideas from this. I'm going to go to the salvage yard and look for either a pad or a small boot (or maybe both).

Newell

i used a square shifter boot from a toyota truck 5-speed...worked great

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was just on there earlier for another reason and was just about to go back looking for the boot when I saw your post, saving me the trouble!
Thanks for that.

Welcome to CB too muddigger.

Paul

PaveBronco

I used to get the best Tamales from outside that Pick N Pull (or U Pull it cant remember) in ABQ when I lived there. Miss the Jemez…
I used a rubber glove, worked great and sealed it up, I drilled a vent for a line in the top case so I didn’t suck water in during the snow melt creek crossings..