• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 behind a 200 six?

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i have a 67 bronco with a 170. I am going to swap in a 200 out of a 68 falcon with only 80000 miles on it. My question is will a np435 bolt up to the 200 bell housing? i know i will need the adapter for the transfer case. I use to own a 72 bronco with a 351W and i put a 435 in it. thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes it will bolt up. You will need to modify the cross memeber location and the driveshaft lenghts due to the V8 adapter which is longer. A few people have done the swap.

twbowhunter

it bolts right up ,moves the crossmember back 2" i made a plate that uses the same factory holes so you dont have to weld or butcher things up, if your not in a big hurry i am pulling the six and going to a 302 fairly soon

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thanks for the information, i am new to this forum stuff. I have seen an adapter that uses the six cylinder housing because it is shorter than the v8 housing. It is just a machined plate that changes the bolt pattern of the housing to fit the 435 versus the 3 speed. Will using this adapter and six cyl. housing still change the mounting location? thanks, again.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Np behind the 200 We did this for Running Buddy ..It really turned out to be a great swap ..He did do some work to his cross member too make it work . He made some bracket with slotted hole so the member could be slid back and fourth. ..We didn't have to do any thing to his drive shafts other than swap the yokes ..

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
Will using this adapter and six cyl. housing still change the mounting location? thanks, again.

Yes it will. The brackets have 4 bolts, two front and two rear, about 3 inches apart. I moved my brackets back by bolting the front bracket holes into the rear holes on the frame. Then using the bracket as a template, drilled two new holes and tapped them. I then slotted the top of the brackets like Papitt mentioned for the tranny mounts. I tried swapping the yokes from front to rear on mine but it didn't work. I had my rear drive shaft cut and balanced for right at $100. Others have not had this problem. Also, If you have a suspension lift, you'll probably be fine. I don't. BTW, I'm using the original 170 bellhousing on my 200.

Do you have a body lift? What are your plans for shifters?

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No bodylift. Can the stock shifter be used? If not, I will go with the twin sticks for the shifters.

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
Without a body lift, it'll be tight and you'll probably have to cut quite a bit out of the tunnel to get it in there. I twinsticked my T-case and the stock 435 shifter worked with no bending required, but it does bump one of the shifters. You'll probably have to do some bending but it should work fine.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Hey one more thing to think about.. Is if you have to add a lift and have a scrowd on your radiator ..Look at it so you don't chew up your scrowd or radiator ...EDIT.....Hey I just had a thought .. I think Running Buddy still has his 3 cored good radiator and a good home made scrowd for a 6 cyl and it is for sale.....

nrramse

Without a body lift, it'll be tight and you'll probably have to cut quite a bit out of the tunnel to get it in there. I twinsticked my T-case and the stock 435 shifter worked with no bending required, but it does bump one of the shifters. You'll probably have to do some bending but it should work fine.

I'd sure like to see pictures of that - I'm getting ready to do the same thing.

Newell

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
Newell, I took some pics for ya. I have a 2" body lift. Also, I don't have a dash pad, but if I did, I doubt I could get 1st gear. I need to bend it back about an inch or two at the top and shorten one of the twin sticks for clearance, but it works as is.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 26

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
BTW guys, I wanted a Gearbanger shifter and had one ready to go when I did the swap. I didn't realize that the 435 sits a couple inches further back behind a 6cyl than it does behind a V8. I had to mount the shifter to the floor instead of on the angled part of the tunnel. After a little driving, I wasn't happy with the shifter being back that far. I put a stock shifter in and decided I liked it better. Thought I'd pass this along.

Attachments

• 151.JPG
    151.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 22

nrramse

Newell, I took some pics for ya. I have a 2" body lift. Also, I don't have a dash pad, but if I did, I doubt I could get 1st gear. I need to bend it back about an inch or two at the top and shorten one of the twin sticks for clearance, but it works as is.

That looks really good - thanks. Do your twin sticks lean to the driver's side at all, or do they stand straight up?

Newell

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i'm interested in doing this very same swap. does the 200 bellhousing bolt right up to the 435? do i just need the adapter for the tranny to transfer case? does it use the stock crossmember moved back 2" or is it one from a swap kit?

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey I just had a thought .. I think Running Buddy still has his 3 cored good radiator and a good home made scrowd for a 6 cyl and it is for sale.....

Actually, i need a new radiator. Mine was just patched for the last time. It is in pretty rough shape.