• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater Unit

tntim

What is the best way to check the wiring on the unit. It doesn't come on or blow air. I figured I would remove the whole unit and clean it up and fix from the ground up. But I wasn't born with patience and was wonder what is the best way to remove the unit. Do I have to remove the dash?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TNTim

ja840a

Loc.
Denver
you don't need to remove the whole dash, you can take it all out from underneath. If i recall correctly there is only one wire (orange) that attaches to the blower motor. I would check the fuse, and start chasing it like you would any electrical problem, look for a bad ground, they tend to get rusty back by the fire wall. other than that, patience :)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There is an orange wire to the motor and also a ground wire. Check the fuse first.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I had a similar problem with mine. Turned out to be a crusty fuse holder in the fuse box. popped the fuse out, scuffed the tabs a but with some sand paper, works great now.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Crusty fuse boxes are a Bronco trademark!!
Oh, along with lousy grounds more than occasionally.
Oh well.

Do what they said first, but by all means at least remove the bellows hose to the right kick-panel and check for/remove any leaves/spiders/pine needles/underwear that you might find in there.
Not an ucommon issue either. Although that won't typically keep the motor from spinning, it'll certainly reduce your heater's efficiency.

Good luck. And patience grasshoppa... Always remember, "read the wheel and pull-for-heat" when you're ready.
Paul

OP
OP
T

tntim

Thanks to all, I will try this tonight.

Thanks again.

TNTim