• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some help swapping to power brakes, which kit?

fromme

Loc.
Suffolk, VA
I just picked up a nice '71 with a Mustang 5.0 conversion and the first order of business is some power brakes. So I need something that will clear that 5.0 manifold. The manual m/c isn't cutting it. Disc brakes already added to the front d44 and they are working pretty ok for manual brakes. I'm leaning toward the vacuum booster kits I'm seeing for ease of install and pricing; it looks like the hydroboost set ups are more expensive although I do have hydro assist steering already. For this one I think I'd rather buy a kit and have it all there rather than sourcing junkyards for parts.
So I see some kits require fender modification which I have no idea what is involved in that, and I saw a kit from Tom's that shows no modification. Any performance difference between those kits? Any advice and insight appreciated. Also I'm only 36x12.50, and it's highly unlikely I'll run anything bigger. I don't want to jump in to this too fast and regret something, but I also want to do this right away. I searched and found some info, but was hoping if I posted I'd get some more help.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The history of the fender mods...
When Ford first did the power kits they used the angle bracket. It put the master cylinder too close to the inner fender. So they clearanced the inner fender so it would fit.
The kits that require the inner fender clearancing are a copy of the original Ford stuff.
The kits that don't require mods engineered there own bracket to angle the master cylinder up a little.

Either kit should work just fine.
Can't tell you what will clear the intake, have not encounted that problem yet.
I will recomend the hydroboost over the vacuum booster anyday for a Bronco application.

Standard disclaimer about power brakes...
All they do is make the pedal easier to push. They won't fix problems such as ineffectivness, pull, premature lockup, fade, etc. If you have those problems now, power brakes may mask a little of it but will generally make such problems worse. Especially when you need them the most.

brixter

Loc.
Tuolumne CA
I bought the Wildhorses kit for my 70 and it works great . I have a 2 inch body lift and high valve covers on my 302 and it has plenty of room . The fender mods you hear about are for 76 or 77 models as they had an indentation in the inner fender well to fit the booster . Call Wildhorses with all of your specs and they can hook you up with what you need

OP
OP
fromme

fromme

Loc.
Suffolk, VA
Got, understood about the disclaimer thing. The brakes work, you just gotta push real hard, and that's not going to work for wheeling, or when the wife drives it.
I guess I need to figure out if I really need to look at hydroboost or not, I'm unsure as to if I can just add it inline with the hydro steering set up or what. Is a saginaw pump up to running all of it? I'm not going to want to buy a new ps pump.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Everyone says hydroboost will work even with ram assist. several have done it. No special pump is needed to make it work right. The simple of it, the high pressure line that goes from the pump to the box now goes pump to hydroboost then to box. What the hydroboost takes from the power steering is so tiny that you will never notice.

70_Steve

Old Guy
The manual m/c isn't cutting it. Disc brakes already added to the front d44 and they are working pretty ok for manual brakes.
The brakes work, you just gotta push real hard, and that's not going to work for wheeling, or when the wife drives it.
I guess I need to figure out if I really need to look at hydroboost or not,...
Whether manual, vacuum assist or hydroboost, the peddle pressure required to stop is a function of the size(volume) of the caliper pistons (and rear brake cylinders, if still drum brakes) vs the size (diameter) of the master cylinder. I've seen guys posting here with manual brakes, front discs and 35s and say they have no problems locking up the tires. I installed the stock 76 vacuum booster setup when I installed the stock 76 disc brake Dana 44, and have never been really satisfied with the amount of peddle pressure it takes to lock up the tires (although it can be done!), but not dissatisfied enough to go about fixing it... And I can't tell you for sure, what master cylinder I'm running, although it was supposed to be the stock 76. I've also heard complaints about peddle pressure with hydroboost conversions, although it's usually that the peddle requires too little pressure.

My point is, regardless of whether you decide to stay with manual brakes, go with a kit (vacuum or hydroboost) or source your own parts, you may still wind up having to "try out" different size master cylinders to get the brake feel you're looking for.

RVH

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
I used Tom's kit and it installed easy with no mods. I am running a stock 76 D44 with the OEM disc brakes and drums in the rear. I decided to run the proportioning valve (from Tom's as well) and I have been very satisfied with it, particularly form a street driving perspective. I am not running EFI yet but I have not heard of anyone encountering any clearance issues with the EFI upper intake and the booster. I assume your setup has the throttle body on the passenger side (typical) and not the driver side.

Rob

OP
OP
fromme

fromme

Loc.
Suffolk, VA
Thanks for the replies. I see Vanco has a hydroboost kit too. I've used him for two other Jeep builds and I like dealing with him. But he's twice the price of a vacuum assist. So let me ask, has anyone gone with a vaccum assist kit and been unhappy or felt like there still wasn't enough brakes?